Windows home server 2011 Re sharing a zfs volume

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kurly_B

May 26, 2013
The Bahamas
Hi all,
I'm building a new all in one, with zfs backed storage, and was hoping to use WHS 2011 as a front end to my zfs array. I read that I can do a iscsi setup, but I really just want to reshare the array not add another layer. Is it possible, and still get the libraries and all.
Kinda lost in the new windows world, been mac and *nix for along time.

BTW I have never used WHS 2011 yet, bought it because it was $48 on amazon, and hoping that it will serve my needs.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
WHS2011 is replaced with Windows 8.

Not sure what you want to do otherwise. I am guessing this is on your "Project Overkill"?

So, a unix/linux host system with a WHS2011 VM on top?

What are you trying to achieve?

Kurly_B

May 26, 2013
The Bahamas
I wanted a Wife friendly picture, iTunes, home video, document storage interface. I want my data on zfs.
I was just going to try it, for $50 it was shot in the dark. I have a windows 7 64bit. Not to sure about win8 yet. I don't really need a desktop, my macbook pro is just fine, and the wife just uses an iPad for everything. All of the TV's have an apple tv.
Really, the biggest thing is pictures and home movies. I currently have around 750 GB of pictures and home movies. My wife loves taking pictures, GB worth, and with our 1 Year old, it's just accelerating.
So I was hoping for a wife easy interface to view, load, and share from her iPad, without me having to intervene, and upload, edit, or be involved with the process. Not that I'm unwilling, I just don't have time for it, in the volume that she deals with.

If I can't do it with WHS 2011, then it will just go on my n36L backup box, as a backup server.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
For that - and if you want easy - go with Napp-It on OI. Really easy web interface to manage things, presents SMB (windows file sharing service) and well AFP (appletalk, to be iTunes/iPad friendly). Its Solaris-based, but don't let that put you off it.

It works wonderfully well - and is very easy to make "wife friendly" (personal experience :)).