Windows 8 Start Menu Programs - What do you use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wanted to get a sense of what folks are using. I purchased and have been using StartIsBack for some time now. Works really well and is highly configurable. I think the 5 PC license was like $5.

One thing I would want is to see the Windows key on the keyboard and the Windows key on the Surface Pro have different functionality.

What other options are people using?

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I just use the built-in Windows 8 start screen. Really, the change from Windows 7 to 8 hasn't altered my workflow at all. Windows key->Start typing->Press enter. It's irritating that I can't look at a web browser while I'm doing it, but oh well. Right-clicking the bottom-left pixel brings up the power user menu, and that works just fine for anything else.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just use the built-in Windows 8 start screen. Really, the change from Windows 7 to 8 hasn't altered my workflow at all. Windows key->Start typing->Press enter. It's irritating that I can't look at a web browser while I'm doing it, but oh well. Right-clicking the bottom-left pixel brings up the power user menu, and that works just fine for anything else.

I have StartIsBack configured to go to the new start screen with Control + Windows key. Best of both worlds!

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
As much as I don't mind Metro for some things, i.e. check e-mail etc, it has no place in a business or corporate environment. MS really should have given the option to just have a standard start menu.

I find it irritating at home and as a power user it really slows things down I find, I am considering rolling back to 7, however I find 8 runs really well and the core of it is the best MS OS so far imho.

Maybe there will be a hotfix or a download from MS at some point I don't know, Even 7 had the option for a "Classic" start menu.