windows 2016 and jbod connectivity - windows 2016

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

evosmash

May 31, 2017
Not entirely sure if this is the exact spot this needs to be but here goes.

I currently have an ibm x3550 m4 with a mellanox infiniband dual port ConnectX-3 VPI card. I am trying to direct connect a netapp ds4243 storage shelf in windows server 2016. I have no experience with infiniband technology and it seems I am missing something because I am getting zero communication. Is there something I need to do to get the two machines to talk? I am not using a switch these are direct connected to each other and from what I know the ds4243 is basically just a jbod and there is a netapp controller that uses infiniband technology and its compatible with the ds4243 so I went with an infiniband card instead of a standard sas hba card and a qsfp to sas cable. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I understood it as the ib card is a host bus adapter card. If i need to go from the shelf to an sas hba why would I need the IB card?
Just looking at the doc and what I remember about the shelf, @KioskAdmin is spot on. You would use the Mellanox to connect to the Filer (in a normal NetApp environment) and then the NetApp filer to the shelf would be SAS or FC.

The DS4243 was meant to connect to a filer like a FAS3220 not as direct attach server storage.

mstrzyze

Nov 9, 2015
as i understand it
he has Infiniband ( QSFP ) --- DS4243 ( SAS /QSFP Connector )

so basically using QSFP conncable tries to connect both..which is not working... ( IB - SAS )

Netapp used IB for HA interconnect/cluster but only controller - controller

now..your box DS4243 is 4RU ( 4 ) 24 HDD ( 24 ) and 3 SAS ( 3 )

what you need is ( in my opinion ) SAS card with exteral connector ( also SAS ) 3 Gbps

Reactions: Patrick

evosmash

May 31, 2017
as i understand it
he has Infiniband ( QSFP ) --- DS4243 ( SAS /QSFP Connector )

so basically using QSFP conncable tries to connect both..which is not working... ( IB - SAS )

Netapp used IB for HA interconnect/cluster but only controller - controller

now..your box DS4243 is 4RU ( 4 ) 24 HDD ( 24 ) and 3 SAS ( 3 )

what you need is ( in my opinion ) SAS card with exteral connector ( also SAS ) 3 Gbps
alright thanks, i appreciate it guys. I can actually get a netapp sas card i just didnt go with it originally because im stupid. Thats not entirely the issue, i had a couple concerns i thought i was avoiding by going this direction but didnt work out.