Windows 2012 R2 Unidentified Network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I've been troubleshooting for a day now and I can't get this working. This machine is a physical machine (not a VM host) so I have Windows 2012 R2 installed. The machine joined domain and it was all working great until a restart. The network became unidentified again.

I tried pulling out the cable and putting back in.. did not resolve. However, I changed the IP from one static IP to another, it showed it is part of the domain network. I changed it back to the original static IP and the status remained the same until another reboot...

Can anyone tell me where I should look now? I've been scratching my head all day yesterday could not get this to remain in the domain network status.

Thanks

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I made sure the DHCP does not cover the range which I put static IP on. Where should i look to look at DNS issue?

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I am sure it can reach the DC as it can ping the DC. Also, just changing the static IP slightly makes it recognize the network.. it's just after a reboot it goes to unidentified again.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I have found that NLA marks the network as public / unidentified if the network stack starts faster than the card negotiates a link. This can occur with spanning tree configuration problems, teaming/LACP etc.

I have not managed to resolve it, though I did once have some minor success with forcing a restart of the Network Location Awareness and Network List Service services about 5 minutes after boot. Note these two are a dependent pair, so it has to be something like this:

Code:
net stop netprofm
net stop nlasvc
sleep 2
net start nlasvc
net start netprofm
You could do it in PoSH too with Stop-Service, Start-Sleep and Start-Service.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
The DNS servers are accurate, and the time on the machine is accurate? What is the time source of the VM?
I double checked the DNS servers are reachable and accurate (able to ping to DNS server), the time on machine is accurate. This is not a VM, it is a physical machine. Time source is checked against DC.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Try changing your NLA service from automatic to delayed start and see how it goes. I know that teaming using LACP can cause issues similar to this if your STP config is out of whack on your switches etc. I take it you have updated the server and applied the latest service pack etc?

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Ah, I added spanning-tree portfast to the port and that resolved the problem... I will keep monitoring the situation.

Yes, the system is fully up to date. I haven't tried switching NLA to delay but will try that if the spanning-tree portfast didn't resolve the problem.