Windows 11

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I am way out of the loop.

What's the thought on WIndows 11?

Do we hold off until we can't to update, or worth upgrading now?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thats exactly the point where i am;)
Can't not upgrade my 8.1 installations since it runs out of security support in January... so thinking to move to 11... or can it be worse than 10?

Reactions: T_Minus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Win 11.jpg
I like it and upgraded to it when it became available. Some of the new features are "not intuitive" for the few days but you get used to that.

No driver issues for me, but I'm also using supermicro and mostly "enterprise/datacenter" hardware. A friend has a prebuilt (cheap) acer pc and he had every second week at least one bluescreen due hardware driver and software issues (vanguard)...
or can it be worse than 10?
how can you say windows 10 is bad when you use windows 8(.1)? :D

Reactions: Glock24

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Its doing what its supposed to do, is not trying to trick/force me to use Cortana or talks to M$ all day long [or I am not aware of it] ;)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I am considering skipping windows entirely and find a linux distro I like.
The only problem I have is that I use visual studio - and I need windows for that.
But my current PC (Ryzen 7 1700) have plenty of performance, so I will probably just hold off until EOS of windows 10 (2025) - and then reluctantly upgrade to a newer platform - and at that time I will probably look forward to getting a new workstation anyway :)

I kind of think windows has become progressively bad over the years.

Windows 95 was nice because it was the first almost real windows
Windows 2000 was good
Windows XP was awesome (XP 64 bit was so freaking fast and awesome)
Windows 7 was also good
Windows 8/8.1 meh
Windows 10 is good, but I don't like the metrics machines send and I think it has too many features
Windows 11 expands on what windows 10 did, probably just more "smart" - which mean old farts like me do not like it much.

I would prefer an OS without too many features built in, and options to add the features I want - not like microsoft does it and cram a lot of useless features into the OS that many never uses or require.
Perhaps windows 12 will be good again - similar to Windows ME and the others in between the good versions.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
What's the thought on WIndows 11?
It's change to the shell and some other visuals, and that's about all. If you look at the OS version on a Windows 11 system it is still 10.x.y, so there really wasn't any change to the core OS. The one exception is the Android Subsystem for Windows, which allows you to run Android apps, but something like BlueStacks takes care of that well enough on Windows 10.

It definitely was not worth the "11" name...it should have just been a feature update to Windows 10. I think because the UI is so radically different (and not intuitive even if you have never seen Windows 10), it was created as a new "version", so people didn't automatically update and freak out.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Everyone could upgrade at their own risk :D
Microsoft published documentation what you need to change to install windows 11 (and server 2022) without tpm/a "compatible" cpu (Ways to install Windows 11)
True, if you do not care about security updates - to quote: "Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates."

I think I will stick with windows 10 until 2025 where I am guaranteed to receive security updates.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I used Windows 7 from start to finish of support, back when security-only updates still existed and ment something. Then they shoved DiagTrack down everyone's throat and their stupid data collections started and back then I knew that something awful was coming -- privacy-wise.

Since the company had unused server 2019 licenses I skipped 8 8.1 10 and 11 and went straight for a server install as a desktop. Turned everything off, from automatic updates, automatic driver downloads on device plug in, automatic certificate checking, antivirus, some scheduled tasks. Turned even automatic CA list synchronisation off so fresh out the gate it wouldn't even know most certificate authorities until I run a script to import concurrent white and black lists. When I boot it up the machine is quiet on the network except for NTP queries to sync time. I don't care about updates because chances are they wreck something and I don't run foreign binaries or open foreign office documents. Mail server is what you could call 'anal' about anything but a MIME-type white list. Won't plug in USB thumb drives I found in the parking lot either.

Until a few years ago German Finanzamt required Windows to run the Elster tax-submission software. Was my last real reason to keep Windows. But now they made it all into a website so my new love is now Arch with i3 desktop and ungoogled-chromium for privacy. Will run a MC2207310 at 56 Gbps from desktop ConnectX3 to the rack. Enough to last until retirement. ;-)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
True, if you do not care about security updates - to quote: "Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates."
If you care about security shouldn't your cpu also include security relevant stuff and the system a tpm 2.0 module for real random numbers (and therefore be compatible with win 11/server 2022)? :D

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack was a very good improvement over Windows 7. The windows 8/8.1 start screen was nasty, but the rest of the OS was absolutely fine.

Windows 11 has a nasty start menu but, again, StartAllBack fixes this; and Rufus lets you install on any old PC. For me, the latest WSL release in Windows 11 has everything I needed Linux for, so I will forgive the odd annoyance since I have one box for 99% of my tinkering.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
If you care about security shouldn't your cpu also include security relevant stuff and the system a tpm 2.0 module for real random numbers (and therefore be compatible with win 11/server 2022)? :D
It does include TPM - microsoft just decided it should not be compatible :)

1667488808627.png

Also whether or not a system has TPM should not decide whether or not it should receive security updates - but ofcourse its easier to make fixes if you can ensure that certain minimum requirements are met. I am a software developer and only having to support few variations is easier than having to support a million.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
tpm 2.0 module for real random numbers
So, you trust a hardware black box to not have some kind of back door? I don't.

All of this stuff is sourced from who knows where, and I'm sure somebody is trying to figure out how to get a hacked TPM into Dell's part stream.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I am considering skipping windows entirely and find a linux distro I like.
The only problem I have is that I use visual studio - and I need windows for that.
I've been using Linux as my daily driver for a long time, most recently Ubuntu Mate. But for years I also needed Windows for work and helping my kids with school; dual booting at first, more recently as a VM.

Since last summer though, I've only needed Windows for personal use with a laser cutter and 3D printer. When I built my new desktop in January (Z690 & i5-12600k) I decided to try Windows 11 and its been well behaved for me. The current Windows 11 UI is similar in many ways to the "Pantheon" UI I'd been using on Linux, making it an easy transition from 10. As noted here already though, there's enough changes in visuals and configuration from Windows 10 to 11 that it may not appeal to folks that are comfortable & satisfied with the older Windows interfaces.

Windows 10 still works great for my son, who's a hardcore gamer, and my Wife, who works with book keeping software that's happiest running on 10. For their needs, Windows 11 just isn't the best choice yet. The hardware support is there, but not the software which still works best on Windows 10 for them. So no reason for them to change yet.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Thats exactly the point where i am;)
Can't not upgrade my 8.1 installations since it runs out of security support in January... so thinking to move to 11... or can it be worse than 10?
It's as bad as 8, not as good as 10. Too many UI changes for the sake of changing. Also some friends have reported instability issues with test computers where he works.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
It's as bad as 8, not as good as 10. Too many UI changes for the sake of changing. Also some friends have reported instability issues with test computers where he works.
you're surely joshing. I have Lenovo Thinkpad X12, and it runs super smooth with 11. In fact, better than win10.
11 UI could be easily tamed to be close to 10, whereas win8 was a UI disaster for non-touch displays.
I'd still consider Win11 as a "beta," but YMMV. As Glock24 said, for some apps, like games, 11 isn't the best choice right now.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
I respectfully disagree with the "iffy-ness". I love 11. I thought it funny that Infinite released a month after 11, and Infinite recommended 10. It ran zero issues on 11 with my gaming rig anyways, even for 3 and 4 year old games. Baked in utilities like paint, snip, and stickies got overhauled. Loved it so much I switched all our jump servers to 2022, and just upgraded my work box so I could run 11 daily. It is the perfect apology for Vista.
Not sure what yall are doin but its been working great for me since day 1 both in and out of the datacenter.