Windows 10 upgrade still available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
My computer upgraded to Windows 10, but I am kind of sick of it. Everyday I turn off the computer, it will be updated automatically. I don't know why.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
My computer upgraded to Windows 10, but I am kind of sick of it. Everyday I turn off the computer, it will be updated automatically. I don't know why.
that's what ms designed win10 to do. unless you have ltsb enterprise version allowing for deferred update.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Ever since they fired the testers I have not been terribly excited with Windows upgrades.
The commitment to driver and hardware support has changed. I know they would rather be Apple but the further they go down that road the more I prefer some flavour of unix.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
When Windows 7 becomes unusable, I'll go with some flavor of Linux. No matter how painful it is, I'm finished with MS.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I think Win 10 sucks, sends info to Microsoft (though there maybe some workarounds, I'm still not confident no info would be sent.
Plus the fact that product key gets written to bios. I think in future Linux may be the go.

PS. Some interesting info about Win10 license and activation:
Windows 10 licensing: Acceptable changes in harware

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
While I applaud any software that attempts to block Win 10 telemetry, Statements like this hint at a disturbing underlying truth.

Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system.
I'd be willing to bet that there is more hidden spyware than known.

I also find it disturbing that most people aren't concerned about privacy anymore and could care less about the sort of world that this will lead to. Sad, really. :(

William

May 7, 2015
IMO only, I think MS is trying to setup a service much like what you get on your cell phones these days. I also think Win 7 and other OS do much the same things Win 10 does.

I do not get ad's on my system or any other intrusions like this. I have seen some complain about getting MS products like popups for Office 365. I saw that on one machine but it was a side bar thing and did not bother me, it was a one time thing.

I see far more ad's and bundled software stuff on OEM machines than anything my home built rig ever does.

I have not seen a detailed break down from anyone out side MS on just what is being collected.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ads don't bother me, I expect them from most all sources. Their intent is obvious. what I have a problem with are "features" like the built in keylogger that sends ALL your keystrokes back to MS, including, but not limited to, you're online banking credentials. No way in hell this will ever be justified in my mind.

William

May 7, 2015
Has any of that been proven ?
I find it hard to believe that MS would add that to Win 10, many privacy laws would be broken if they did that.

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah I have seen those, that's why I posted that link for another utility.

What I meant was links that show just what Win 10 is sending home. As far as I have seen its only telemetry, bug data etc.
I have not seen anyone that actually shows proof that it is sending more than that through the data that is actually being sent. btw Win 7 also sends out data back to MS yet everyone seems fine with 7.

Those links are talking about Cortana which is sending data back to improve speech recognition etc... all this can be turned off with settings that those links shown or just turn off Cortana.

Online banking credentials is something entirely different, if anyone showed proof of that, MS would have a huge law suit on their hands.

All the scare about Win 10, yet google tracks so much data its not funny. Your Android cell phone/iPhone sends back more data I believe.

Either way, Win 10 is along those lines, like your cell phone. You can at least turn off some of this with settings options.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Can't really determine what Windows sends back much less for what purpose. Kinda like the old joke "Toilet camera for research purposes only". The fact that MS pushed so hard to force everyone to upgrade to Win 10 and even went so far as to "accidentally" upgrade some without permission makes them guilty of anything and everything you could possibly accuse them of. They are blatantly dishonest. After Win 7 becomes unusable I will be switching to some flavor of Linux no matter how painful it is.

William

May 7, 2015
It was done to gather market share... get everyone on Win 10 and drop support for older Win OS's. One OS to rule them all :)
Looks good at the stock market also.

I upgraded 3 machines, still 2 older laptops on Win 7, and I have one Retail Win 7 Pro just incase I need it.

Still need to get a MSDN sub for everything else I do. TechNet was a good deal, sad they got rid of it.

After the mistake of Win 8 I don't think many would have purchased Win 10, forcing people to purchase new OS never goes well and becomes slow in adoption even if it is a good upgrade. So doing it free really pulled in a lot of people. I also like getting rid of support for older OS, it makes keeping the new OS much easier to keep current. Do we really need XP anymore ?

I also don't mind the update system Win 10 uses. So many machines I have worked on had no updates on 7 and XP machines, people just didn't do it and ended up with machines so full of malware, its better for them to have it done automatically really. All of us here are an exception of course :)

I do think XP and Win 7 are still going to be around for a long time, playing new games and software may not support these. But that was going to happen anyway when moving to new Directx's and GPU drivers. Ubuntu is just a pain IMO, I just do not like having to compile everything I want to install plus if you are a gamer you have very little choices out there for stuff that can run on Linux.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Linux has come a long way in the last few years. While not quite as user friendly as Windows (Linux really needs to lose the CLI for routine things completely), it none the less has made and will continue to make progress. One day a critical point will be reach where it will be a serious threat to Windows. But I have no idea how far in the future this point is but I do see it happening. I'm not a gamer so games are a mute point. Same can be said for business users. If Intuit were to come out with a Linux version of Quickbooks, I know a lot of businesses that would make the switch. But I can't see doing so as long as the Linux world is so fragmented. Why does the world need 20 billion flavors of the same OS ?????