Windows 10 to Windows Server 2019 Robocopy Speed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I reloaded Windows 2019 recently after I heard it had be released again, but now I am unable to access the 2019 system from Windows 10.
Is this a fresh/clean installation?

If yes open the group policies on windows 10:
Administrative templates>Network>Lanman-WOrkstation and check the setting for "guest access".
Enable it, reboot and try to acces the windows 2019 share.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
Ok I got all the permissions correct and everything is working. While robocopy was running I did not see any activity on the 40GbE adapter which indicates RDMA is being used. This is a fresh installation using Windows Insider 17744.

I am using a Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx Ethernet Adapter on both Windows 10 workstation and Windows server 2019. The first test ran at
2890MB/sec so it looks pretty good, not quite as good as I was getting Windows 10 workstation to Windows 10 workstation, but I have not
done any tuning except for packet size.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
RDMA is only supported on Microsoft Server OSes not Windows 10 so you'd never see that really kick in. If you install Server 2019 on the other machine then you'd see substantial performance increases across the board as long as your drives, in each machine, could handle it.

I'm glad your speeds are improving thou.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Edit:
I see that @zkrr01 has tried/discussed that already;)

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/windows-10-pro-for-workstations-rdma.21426/

--------------------
Previous text :
RDMA is only supported on Microsoft Server OSes not Windows 10 so you'd never see that really kick in. If you install Server 2019 on the other machine then you'd see substantial performance increases across the board as long as your drives, in each machine, could handle it.
U sure? Have not tried it but google spits out this:

Why don't Windows Client OS support RDMA?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...rosoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/

• Faster file sharing: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations includes a feature called SMB Direct, which supports the use of network adapters that have Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) capability. Network adapters that have RDMA can function at full speed with very low latency, while using very little CPU. For applications that access large datasets on remote SMB file shares, this feature enables:
    • Increased throughput: Leverages the full throughput of high speed networks where the network adapters coordinate the transfer of large amounts of data at line speed.
    • Low latency: Provides extremely fast responses to network requests, and, as a result, makes remote file storage feel as if it is directly attached storage.
    • Low CPU utilization: Uses fewer CPU cycles when transferring data over the network, which leaves more power available to other applications running on the system.

Last edited:

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Seems you are correct with Windows 10 Pro Workstation OS... guess I missed that announcement so thanks for the link!

The definitely opens up some possibilities here in my own home lab :)

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
When I was doing these tests a month or so ago, I was using two Windows 10 pro for workstations. I recently changed one machine to dual boot and now run Windows server 2109 and Windows 10 pro for workstations on one machine. So the test I did early today I did the robocopy from a Windows 10 pro for workstation to Windows server 2019 and RDMA was used. I verified that by watching the task manager ethernet graphs and the elapsed time.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There are also RDMA Perf counters, that is what I also use to verify that RDMA is being used.

for many months the group I was in, thought that RDMA was in use but the Perf counts proved that they were not.

once we figured out and fixed the issue, throughput was similar (slightly better) but CPU utilization was much less.

Chris

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
@i386 said open Administrative templates->Network->Lanman->Workstation on Windows 10

I looked all over for that, where is it?

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
After I setup the Windows server 2019 to run native as a dual boot, I noticed that my 10GbE Network Adapter has once again gone missing. I tried removing the 10GbE Asus network adapter card from the machine then rebooted. I then installed the 10GbE Asus network adapter in the machine, when I booted the Windows 10 system, I could see the 10GbE adapter. When I booted Windows server 2109 the 10GbE network card was still missing. I have tried all the "tricks" on the network but I still cannot see the 10GbE adapter on the Windows server 2019 system. I have made sure the drivers are installed on the Windows server 2019. Any ideas?

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
I finally figured it out, download the driver package named XG-C100C_v5.0.1.6 from the ASUS site and run setup.