Windows 10 slow on Proxmox 6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hisoka

Nov 6, 2019
Hi guys,

just a quick question which is bugging me for awhile. People everywhere use proxmox daily for all kinds of virtual environments but how are you guys able to use Windows 10 fluently on a regular server without dedicated GPU? I tried every possible setting (spice, qxl, std) and it is not working at all.

So are you guys using dedicated GPUs to use Windows 10 fluently on proxmox?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I've used Win10 vm's with less, but you should be fine with 2-4 GiB of RAM and as low as 2 cores. I use this VM all day, so I needed more CPU and RAM. I just use the default display and cranked the video memory up.
Screenshot from 2020-06-01 17-37-14.png

Reactions: hisoka and Tha_14

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
.... but how are you guys able to use Windows 10 fluently on a regular server without dedicated GPU? I tried every possible setting (spice, qxl, std) and it is not working at all. So are you guys using dedicated GPUs to use Windows 10 fluently on proxmox?
You may want to describe and provide more information about how you set up your W10 vm's and whats your use case. Otherwise we can all tell you how nice our vm's are running and performing well and it's still not clear whats the difference between your issue and us.

Reactions: hisoka

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have no idea re proxmox, but I found that for any kind of remote working its advisable to have a CPU with at least ~2.4GHz.
Below that it works but its kinda slow.

Reactions: hisoka

hisoka

Nov 6, 2019
You may want to describe and provide more information about how you set up your W10 vm's and whats your use case. Otherwise we can all tell you how nice our vm's are running and performing well and it's still not clear whats the difference between your issue and us.
It was my intention to not provide too much information since I am talking about various systems and it seems like an "standard" thing. But well here you go:

latest proxmox version
R630 DELL
2x E5-2620v4 @2.1GHz
no gpu

Windows 10 2004 with latest virtio drivers.

It just kinda feels sluggish, slower than an entry laptop.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
... It was my intention to not provide too much information since I am talking about various systems and it seems like an "standard" thing. But well here you go: ...
Sorry for requesting more information in order to help a little bit. Again, ...

1. We need the information how you set up the vm's and more.
2. What hardware is used to store the vm's?
3. Use cases of the vm's?
4. W10 2004 is kinda new and already known for serious issues. Did you test prev W10 versions?

... and further.

But, don't want to bother you, so ... good day.

hisoka

Nov 6, 2019
Sorry for requesting more information in order to help a little bit. Again, ...

1. We need the information how you set up the vm's and more.
2. What hardware is used to store the vm's?
3. Use cases of the vm's?
4. W10 2004 is kinda new and already known for serious issues. Did you test prev W10 versions?

... and further.

But, don't want to bother you, so ... good day.
1. see sboesch post, also did try to use spice and so on
2. ZFS MIRROR 300GB 10K SAS drives
3. bare metal desktop replacement (i3 equivalent)
4. yes ofc

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Do you run any kind of slog on your storage box? 10k sas platters have abysmal sync write performance - again, no idea if this applies to proxmox

Are other windows versions/VMs on the same datastore much quicker?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Do you run any kind of slog on your storage box? 10k sas platters have abysmal sync write performance - again, no idea if this applies to proxmox

Are other windows versions/VMs on the same datastore much quicker?
Yes, I think Rand found the real culprit here. Turn-Off sync writes to test this idea, but in general, windows10 is much happier on SSD