Windows 10 Re-Image time - which boot SSDs?

Which SSD for RAID 1 boot volume.

• Samsung PM853T 960GB drives

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Samsung SV843 960GB drives

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think it is about time to re-image my desktop with Windows 10 completely fresh.

Here is my question: which boot SSDs should I RAID 1?

Options:
  1. Samsung PM853T 960GB
  2. Samsung SV843 960GB
One of the Samsung SV843's is about 50% write endurance remaining, but still way more than I will use with my normal loads. I am not 100% sure on 2D TLC for a daily use SSD though (they are scrap drives right now.)

Current used space is around 500GB because I run most things off of network shares at this point. Luckily, starting from fresh is basically just Windows 10 install, add Hyper-V features, connect network drives, Office install, Adobe CC install and add a few other misc utilities that need to be installed locally (e..g OpenVPN).

Looks like I have a few more things to backup but I wanted to get an opinion on which I should use. Process starts in a few hours.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ended up using the SV843 drives. Thus far, not much of a difference between these and the M500 960GBs.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Do the enterprise tlc drives have the emulated slc cache for writes like the consumer drives do? And do your know how large it is if so.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'm OK with the 850 pro in my nuc... My dual X8 desktop runs an 840evo... But its also about to be replaced.
What are you replacing an 840 evo with? I've found them solid enough and not enough change on the 850 series to upgrade one to the other on client systems at least.

Diavuno

What are you replacing an 840 evo with? I've found them solid enough and not enough change on the 850 series to upgrade one to the other on client systems at least.
I'm debating on swapping the SSD out, or potentially swapping the WHOLE machine to something else.

maybe swap in a 850 pro and then reinstall... just to see. if the drive or install helps?

The Machine BSOD's on me once a month... then again it's all 3+ years old and has a 5 year old install of windows 7.

I was thinking a NUC/similar but I want something that drives 4 displays and has multiple NICs.

Power on a dual x8 is also a thing.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'm debating on swapping the SSD out, or potentially swapping the WHOLE machine to something else.

maybe swap in a 850 pro and then reinstall... just to see. if the drive or install helps?

The Machine BSOD's on me once a month... then again it's all 3+ years old and has a 5 year old install of windows 7.

I was thinking a NUC/similar but I want something that drives 4 displays and has multiple NICs.

Power on a dual x8 is also a thing.
Do you do a lot of gaming? if not a Quadro nvs 510 or K1200 would handle 4 4k displays easily enough both of which are low profile low power cards(and not horribly expensive around 300-350)
You'd lose a lot of CPU power with the thermals on a NUC but you could do an ITX i5-6600 easily enough with something like that and an m2 ssd if you wanted a faster drive

Diavuno

Yeah, I know there are a ton of options (used to work for a VAR who exclusively did signage)

I broke my arms a while back and cannot handle input devices well. So wile I dont play games like I used to, I still try occasionally.

My HD78xx is a Solid card, I got the DD edition it is inaudible and drives 4x 1920x1200 with ease.