1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10: Local Network Sharing

Discussion in 'Windows Server, Hyper-V Virtualization' started by barretsmile, Nov 8, 2017.

1. barretsmile

barretsmile New Member

Under Windows 7, setting up local network sharing was a breeze! But, it seems I've hit a brick wall trying to get three PCs here at the house to see and share files and folders with one another under Windows 10!

All three have been assigned the same Workgroup ID. I've also gone into the Network Sharing...Advanced Network Sharing, established at least one Shared Folder/File on one of the PCs...and, the only one who can see that Folder/File...so far...is the PC on which it is set to be shared.

There is one caveat: One of the PCs still has Windows 7 installed. And, that one actually shows up under the Network listing under the File Sharing/This PC window when opened. But, neither of the Windows 10 PCs can see one another or see any of its shared files.

Has MS made is so that the only way to do this is with a Microsoft Account and using One Drive??? If so, I'll just buy a larger USB Flash drive and carry the sucker from PC to PC!

2. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

I hate win 10 and don't use it myself, but I did do this once for a mate a while ago. I seem to remember something about advanced sharing properties and turning off password protected sharing in order for him to be able to share files from his win 10 box to his win 7 laptop. Dunno if that helps or not :)

barretsmile likes this.
  3. pricklypunter

Oh and remember and come back and let us all know what the problem was/ solution is :D

4. K D

K D Active Member

Have you checked the Network Discovery and File & Printer sharing settings for your current network?

I had this problem once I added my desktop to the domain and had to go manually change it.

11 -02.png

11 -01.png

11 -00.png

5. Klee

Klee Active Member

I hate networking in windows 10, always a pain.

What works, and "Just Works", in older versions of windows does not "just work" in windows 10 without grief.

My 3 TB My Cloud that everything easily connects to, older versions of Windows and any other os, Windows 10 sometimes sees it sometimes it does not. Sometimes when i'm transferring files to or from the MyCloud it errors out.

Nas4Free everything else connects to it with zero issues except any Windows 10 box. Windows 10 refuses to even see it.

To fix the MyCloud connection issue I had to download a program from WD called WD Connnector and create a shortcut to my desktop after that it works a lot better.

With Windows 2016 Server I have zero issues.

6. pricklypunter

At the risk of derailing the op, Win10 imho, was designed as a vehicle for mass data collection, while pretending to be an OS :)

dawsonkm likes this.