Window server 2012 with only cmd

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Liana

Nov 19, 2016
WIN_20161119_091734.JPG WIN_20161119_091712.JPG as seen in these images i have installed window server 2012 on my computer but somehow it has ended up on my c: drive and now will only run as seen in the images. i only have the main screen and sign in along with the cmd.exe which will not run a whole lot of anything, as you see i tried running the command to install Gui features and it failed at 63%.

Can anyone plz help and advise me on how to uninstall windows server off the computer and restore to previous state.
Thank you

Attachments

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If you want to convert from core back to a GUI based server install, try using this at the Powershell command line:

import-module serverManager
Install-windowsfeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -Restart

Make sure you have an internet connection, or mount the install wim file and specify the source of the files using Dism :)

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
speaking with experience, let me tell you, NEVER install win 2012 server Core only if you think that you will need GUI in the future.
install server GUI version and than downgrade to CLI using powershell.

I had never been able to upgrade from Core install to GUI install yet.
I tired it on 3 servers and never did it worked properly.
haven't found any how-to that would actually worked for me in converting my 3 servers (DELL PE310, and PE730dx ) from core install to GUI.
I used the fact once of the servers brocke to justify the full system rebuild with GUI install. on the brocken server, than transfer all from the other one and did the same thing there.
I run 2 node Hyper-V cluster on 730 so it was not bad experience over all. and 310 is just a backup machine so could bring it down easily once the main cluster was up and running.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
You've installed the Core version. Reinstall with the full version as Core needs to be managed from a PC or server with a full GUI unless you are good with powershell.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
you know what really Pi$@! me off is that for years we have been stirred to GUI by everyone, Apple, Microsoft , everyone. GUI this and GUI that.

and now when practically everyone switched, they are pushing all back to command line again.

mind you, I have nothing against PowerShell, it have been long over do for PC to have a powerful and capable shell just like Linux/Unix has, but regardless of how powerful and capable command line is, humans are visual creatures . we prefer graphical interface everywhere.
I am sure that CLI purists will eat me alive over this post but I don't care.