Win 10 - Upgrade to Pro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I have a personal laptop that I can upgrade to Win 10 pro for $70. I'm struggling to find anything but a domain that would make it worth it.

Does anyone here have a good reason to do the upgrade?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Remote Desktop ?

I sure wouldn't pay $70 for that though, not when you can get it much cheaper 'legit' elsewhere.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
@T_Minus I'm with you.
@j_h_o I never bitlocker since its a home PC without domain recovery

What about the backup from Windows? Don't you need Pro for that? Is it any good?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I use Crashplan to backup to local/remote sources, or Bvckup2 to dump to SMB shares.

Bitlocker is still useful if your machine has a TPM; it at least makes it more difficult to read data off my disks. If an SSD fails, I don't worry (as much) about RMAing it.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Preventing M$ shoving "updates and upgrades" onto my system, along with who knows what else they deem that I "need" to help them and others spy on me, can only be a good thing imo. So maybe getting off the home track isn't such a bad idea, in the short term, but won't by all accounts prevent this M$ behavior going forward. Is it worth $70, nope. Planning ahead, I'll be leaving M$ on the retailer's shelves and moving my own personal desktops over to something Linux based, with my servers following suit.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Preventing M$ shoving "updates and upgrades" onto my system, along with who knows what else they deem that I "need" to help them and others spy on me, can only be a good thing imo. So maybe getting off the home track isn't such a bad idea, in the short term, but won't by all accounts prevent this M$ behavior going forward. Is it worth $70, nope. Planning ahead, I'll be leaving M$ on the retailer's shelves and moving my own personal desktops over to something Linux based, with my servers following suit.
What are you getting at? Win10 Pro they shove everything down your throat too.

Are you talking about a volume license where you can control updates? OR is that something you can do under 10 with a DC? Educate me please :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
What are you getting at? Win10 Pro they shove everything down your throat too.
Hence why I mentioned in the short term. As far as I'm aware the updates roll out in a tiered fashion. The Pro version can be put on a later branch for the updates when joined to a domain, which extends the time before you have to accept them, but you still get force fed them at some point, like it or not and even if they fark up your otherwise happy system. The home version of course gets it all, immediately any updates are released. I'm almost tempted to believe they are using home version users as a beta test lab.

Are you talking about a volume license where you can control updates? OR is that something you can do under 10 with a DC? Educate me please :)
I think only the Enterprise versions get to put off the updates (LTS branch) for an even longer period, but again, at some point, you're still gonna get them in order to comply with the new EULA terms as far as I'm aware.

Of course this is all only if M$ play by their own rules (unlikely) and don't slip stuff to you or tinker with your system in ways that you don't know about. As far as win 10 goes, so far at least, it seems to me that M$ will do whatever they want, whenever they want and sod the consumer.

Overall my point was simply that I personally see no benefit in spending the money upgrading to the Pro version, even if you can join a domain with it etc, when you're gonna get rumped anyway, perhaps just at a later time :)

Reactions: T_Minus