Win 10 Desktop Virtualization - Hyper-V or VirtualBox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
VMware Desktop is out so I'm down to Hyper-V or VirtualBox as my virtualzation solution on my desktop.

Is there any reason to go with one versus the other?

Hyper-V I like that it's built-in. But a lot of things for Docker are built for VirtualBox not Hyper-V.

I even tried downloading the VirtualBox package from here: Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox and Microsoft SmartScreen popped up on it.

I know for the OSX people VirtualBox is the only option. For Win 10 users, is there a good reason to go with one over the other?

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I like virtualbox because I also have a few docker apps that I run, when I tried to run docker and hyper-v at the same time, it would throw a hissy fit.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Hyper-v is lower level (type 1) vs virtual box. This being the case, Hyper-v should be faster overall for clients
Shouldn't matter because he's still running it from within windows so the application of it is a type2. Unless M$ can run it as a type 1 in parallel with the windows OS.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
As far as I know running Hyper-V from within windows will make it act like a Type-2 Hypervisor. You'll have no end of issues getting Docker apps running nicely using it. Stick with Virtualbox would be my advice :)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
for win10 users performance is the answer, especially if you're running windows on windows, lots of linux distributions include support for running on hyper-v as well, Suse CentOS Ubuntu and Debian(the 4 I use the most) all have linux integration services for their most recent versions (and a few versions back) I haven't tried docker yet but it should run on top of ubuntu...

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
At work I have tried all 3 big ones: VMWare Workstation 11, Hyper-V and Virtualbox.

Hyper-V (on Win 8.1 Enterprise) made a fit with VPN and cost me a laptop do-over at IT cause it wouldn't co-op with the virtual Net stuff it did.

VMWare was okay but complex to start with and their in-guest tools did not work very well with CentOS for me. But other than that it was okay.

Virtualbox is what I use now (on another machine since IT banned it on my laptop now :) ) and it is simple but works somewhat well.

I should probably use ESXi but I do honestly not know when it is the "right time or moment" to swap from Workstation/Virtualbox to ESXi. If anybody knows the advantages, I'd like to know cause it does not seems to be "number of concurrent machines running" which would be a factor for me.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hyper-V (on Win 8.1 Enterprise) made a fit with VPN and cost me a laptop do-over at IT cause it wouldn't co-op with the virtual Net stuff it did.
That is very interesting! My old laptop would not work with a corporate VPN and Virtualbox. Switching to Microsoft VirtualPC then Hyper-V worked fine.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
How would this work. I currently have 7 Pro installed on my work workstation. If I installed Win 10 Enterprise on an SSD would I then be able to use my Win 7 Hard Drive as a guest OS under Hyper-V on Win 10?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
How would this work. I currently have 7 Pro installed on my work workstation. If I installed Win 10 Enterprise on an SSD would I then be able to use my Win 7 Hard Drive as a guest OS under Hyper-V on Win 10?
You would need to pass the drive directly through to the vm but yes that would work, I'd encourage to do a P2V conversion instead though since that will make the system a bit more resilliant in being able to back up the vhd(x)

Reactions: Ramos

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for that info. I just managed to snag an DC S3500 80GB at work and plan to install Win 10 Ent with Hyper-V role and just pass through the Win 7 1TB (50GB free) drive in order to minimize down time and then next "Fiscal year" actually get a new Workstation.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Thanks for that info. I just managed to snag an DC S3500 80GB at work and plan to install Win 10 Ent with Hyper-V role and just pass through the Win 7 1TB (50GB free) drive in order to minimize down time and then next "Fiscal year" actually get a new Workstation.
What workstation are you using now? the cheap e5-2670's and dell's Precision T7500's are both very attractive for workstations if you don't need bleeding edge

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
This is my "workstation" at work. It is an Optiplex 990 i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz with 16GB Ram. I work in Healthcare IT for a Public University so it is hand me downs all around. In July I was hoping to get either some form of current gen E5 or E3 but I have to stay within "budget". I might snag a Storage Server like the one that Patrick just built on the Xeon-D for my SmartOS hypervisor.