Will a Xeon 4XXX processor work in a dual or single slot board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nsummy

Jan 3, 2018
Iowa
I'm sure this has been asked to death, but googling multiple variants of this question return nothing but articles about quad-core processors! I'm almost positive you can put a 4XXX in any dual or single board, and a 8XXX into a quad, dual, or single board, but wanted confirmation before I bought anything. Thanks!

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
You aren't too clear in your explanation. Do u mean quad Socket or quad core? And are u talking about e5 4xxx series? Or scalable 4000 series? Intel ark shows scalable silver 4000 series as dual socket at most and e5 4xxx series work in both quad Socket and dual socket. You can figure out by looking at the number of *UPI (scalable series) or *QPI (E5 xxxx series) on the Intel ark website.

Hope this may be of help.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

nsummy

Jan 3, 2018
Iowa
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about the new scalable silver series. Take for example the Xeon E5-4655 v3. I am wondering if I can use that in a motherboard designed for only 2 processors. From reading your last message it sounds like sometimes you can and sometimes you can't? Basically just comes down to the motherboard?

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Most times you can. You can use them in a single socket board as well. Sometimes the BIOS may not have microcode required.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk