WiFi to Fiber

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Can someone tell me if this scenario is possible. Level 3 data center is 3.4 miles away if I put a backhaul Ubiquiti antenna at their facility and backhaul a 1gbps network uplink from their place to my place is it a way I can grab a fiber connection from my end. Like running cat 6 down from my backhaul antenna into a Ubiquiti fiber router and routing that traffic as a backbone network over BGP for my place and out to my residential fiber connections. Is this possible or am is it just my wishful thinking?

I am currently running residential fiber to a few places utilizing a fiber company called PS Lightwave but we had a fiber cut tonight which is taking them/us 16+ hours to fix because we had no fiber slack and our splice case being over 1 mike away.

So I’m trying to get another connection to add to the network without having to lease dark fiber or pay for another provider to build 5-10 miles of fiber or even pay expensive last mile.

I guess the last alternative would be us building all the way back to the downtown city and placing our own hub but then I would need to buy dark fiber and I just don’t have the funds for anything that expensive yet.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Can throw a device (router) either end to create a tunnel to do it, not not then matter what the transport medium is (in this case WiFi)

Reactions: ELit3

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I am currently running residential fiber to a few places utilizing a fiber company called PS Lightwave but we had a fiber cut tonight which is taking them/us 16+ hours to fix because we had no fiber slack and our splice case being over 1 mike away.
Is it them or you? This sounds like a "lit" service like GigE as opposed to dark fiber. Does the provider offer a ring topology so you can get diverse paths if you pay a little extra? You'd still likely have a single point of failure at your end and perhaps at the far end, but the rest of the path should be protected.

A word or two to them about leaving some slack might be useful. Also, if this is a complete cut just bite the bullet and splice in a new segment rather than trying to pull a mile of fiber through conduits (or worse, un-lash aerial cable) to get some slack. No matter how many strands are in the cable, that's only twice the work (and the same length of time if you have 2 splice teams working on it). If it is a partial cut, just have them move your circuit to an fibers in an intact buffer tube so you're back up ASAP instead of waiting for the splice crew. You'll still have an outage when they actually do the repair, but you won't spend 16 hours watching paint dry in the meantime.

Reactions: mackle

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Is it them or you? This sounds like a "lit" service like GigE as opposed to dark fiber. Does the provider offer a ring topology so you can get diverse paths if you pay a little extra? You'd still likely have a single point of failure at your end and perhaps at the far end, but the rest of the path should be protected.

A word or two to them about leaving some slack might be useful. Also, if this is a complete cut just bite the bullet and splice in a new segment rather than trying to pull a mile of fiber through conduits (or worse, un-lash aerial cable) to get some slack. No matter how many strands are in the cable, that's only twice the work (and the same length of time if you have 2 splice teams working on it). If it is a partial cut, just have them move your circuit to an fibers in an intact buffer tube so you're back up ASAP instead of waiting for the splice crew. You'll still have an outage when they actually do the repair, but you won't spend 16 hours watching paint dry in the meantime.
It was them replacing the fiber me in my car watching to be sure they didn't slack off haha. It is an off net 10G line that we have I guess weighing the option against having my own dark fiber would be another question to ask myself.