WiFi connetion for ESXi 6.x/7.x

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
as above.

due to cabling constraints, my server can only connect to the internet via WiFi (currently an Intel 8260AC).

- Can I use my current setup to setup ESXi 6.x/7.x (not the workstation edition)
- OR maybe I need something like this? (DAP‑1522 - Xtreme N Duo Wireless N Access Point)

I'll be using a server board (I believe Intel i350 chip) and I think that's already officially supported.

Thank you.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Sure, it can be done, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it from a security viewpoint. I advise you take steps to mitigate the risk of having your management ports open to public abuse :)

Reactions: mrjayviper

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
Sure, it can be done, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it from a security viewpoint. I advise you take steps to mitigate the risk of having your management ports open to public abuse :)
Can be using the wifi card directly or using the wifi Ethernet dongle link? Thanks

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Either will work, but I find most WiFi cards to have better antenna's and be capable of more stable connections. If you have a free expansion slot available, I would probably use that with a WiFi card vs using a dongle. Plus a dongle hanging out of a port is a mechanical accident waiting to happen. Either way, you will want as good a connection as you can get :)

You could also use a WiFi repeater with an Ethernet port, which would allow you to move it around a bit until you find the best, most reliable spot for a good signal. Lastly, depending on where your server is, you might be able to just simply use a Powerline/ Ethernet adapter pair to extend your Ethernet across the mains wiring to where you need it, thereby mitigating some of that security headache :)

Last edited:

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
Either will work, but I find most WiFi cards to have better antenna's and be capable of more stable connections. If you have a free expansion slot available, I would probably use that with a WiFi card vs using a dongle. Either way, you will want as good a connection as you can get :)
Are the wifi drivers built-in or I need to customize the iso? Thank you

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
You would need to add the driver support to ESXi for whatever card or USB dongle you were using and build your own install ISO for it. There are a few websites out there that explain how to go about doing that. Personally I favour using a WiFi repeater/ extender over all of the other possibilities, if for no other reason, it's easy to do and requires no twiddling with ESXi to get it to work :)