Wifi Access Points

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I can't get the LAP1252AG-A-K9 t0 show up as an AP. It shows up as an "interface neighbor" and it pulls an IP but it doesn't show up as a AP either in the 2106 nor wireless. I also have a LAP1131AG-A-K9 which works like it should so I know the controller is OK.

Anybody have any ideas? :confused:
Do you have the console cable for this (RJ45 to DB9), and a serial adapter for your computer if needed? It is possible someone set the unit up in AP mode even though it says LAP on the package and this would be easiest to determine from the console.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Do you have the console cable for this (RJ45 to DB9), and a serial adapter for your computer if needed? It is possible someone set the unit up in AP mode even though it says LAP on the package and this would be easiest to determine from the console.
Could you give me some instructions as to how to proceed? :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Could you give me some instructions as to how to proceed? :)
You need the Cisco console cable (pale blue color) or equivalent, a computer with a serial port, and a terminal emulation program. The console cable goes in the other RJ45 on the back of the AP (labeled "Console" in pale blue, normally). Start your terminal program and set it to 9600 baud. Turn off the AP and turn it back on - you should see a whole stream of console messages. One of those messages will be the version of the software the AP is running, for example:
Code:
Cisco IOS Software, C1250 Software (C1250-K9W7-M), Version 15.2(2)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
K9W7 is Autonomous, K9W8 is Lightweight.

If you press the [Enter] key on your computer, you should get either a command line prompt or a password prompt. The default username and password is "Cisco" (without the quotes, and with an uppercase C).

Much Cisco documentation is available without a login. For example, here is the Configuration Guide for the 1250 in Autonomous mode.

Normally an AP in Lightweight mode will register with the controller and be configured from the controller. If the AP does not successfully register with the controller, you might need to manually clear its config with the procedure shown here.

If it AP is in Lightweight mode and being obstinate, you can use the procedure I posted earlier to enable many commands normally disabled in Lightweight mode.

bkhiatt

Aug 2, 2019
I know this thread is getting on a bit but I wanted to throw my experience in.

I've been using Ruckus APs at home for a good while now and I love them. I started with a 7982 (their top-tier .11n box) standalone and currently run an R700 with a ZoneDirector 1100 controller. I also own a R500 and R600 and have ran various combinations of standalone APs, their Unleashed firmware on the R500/600 and more recently with the controller. My neighborhood has the typical WiFi congestion that kept my old TP-Link setup from working effectively however with the Ruckus gear my WiFi feels like a wired connection (neglecting large file transfers of course). I don't even bother to plug my ThinkPads into the LAN anymore. Real world results with my .11n ThinkPad on the far side of the house went from 1-2mbit/s with poor stability with the TP-Link to 150+ solid with the 7982.

The hardware can be had for a fraction of new off eBay in excellent condition. I'll be putting some of mine back up for sale as I'm done experimenting.

I highly recommend them for home use. I'll never go back to consumer WiFi hardware.

Edit: I should note Nest thermostats don't seem to play nice with Ruckus APs.
@FRPII - I'm interested in doing something similar to what you mentioned above with the Ruckus units, but I have several Nest thermostats. Has that situation improved any with newer firmware from either side since 2016?

Thanks,
Brian

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
I can't say; I'm no longer in a position to test that hardware combination. Sorry chief