Why you want Plenum Fiber Optic Cable Video

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Nice, wanna see the actual cabling process, please.
I'm currently in process of projecting a mini-dc for myself, a standalone building which I would need to properly wire inside and also connect to my house, thats around 30 or so meter cabling. Is going with FS custom cable a bad idea for outdoor underground cable?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Is going with FS custom cable a bad idea for outdoor underground cable?
Not sure if you mean copper cables or optic fibers...
(First one is definitely a bad idea between two buildings, the "why" is usually described in the cisco curriculums in the first chapters :D)

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
@i386 SM multistrand fiber of course, but is it a bad choice(fs dot com)? They have custom 20+ strand cables that seem to technically be more tahn enough for me. I wonder if that would really be okay to bury it (wrapping into another plastic housing)?
Up to until now I was buying just about any random cable from US amazon and they work fine for indoor setup of course. Many marked LZSH(wow i didn't know what the heck that means until Patrick uploaded that youtube video) but i won't trust it that much for my "next-generation" datacenter.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey @tinfoil3d I will keep you posted if we have any extra multi-MTP-12 cable. We certainly paid a lot less than FS. There is outdoor armored cable as well.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Years ago I ran a weather-proof burial shielded cat5e cable without additional cover over the roof to the other side of a building. With years of sunshine and rains, it is still in-use. I am curious what kind of fiber cables can resist UV lights, rains and rats to run over a roof.