Why Xeon d 1500 platforms so expensive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wbo

Aug 4, 2015
Don't know what the price for just the CPU is, but there are a few places with the Supermicro X10SDV-16C-TLN4F board listed for around $2200-$2300. One place I am watching is wiredzone at Supermicro X10SDV-16C-TLN4F Embedded Processor I have no idea when they will actually be in stock but I doubt the price will change much.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
12 core pricing is high, 16 core is extreme! Protecting the E5 market they have.
Cheaper to buy 2 of the 8 core machines and run a cluster if it works for you licensing and application scaling wise.
Still overall Xeon-D seems the ideal platform for small servers that don't need extreme single threaded performance.

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
12 core pricing is high, 16 core is extreme! Protecting the E5 market they have.
Cheaper to buy 2 of the 8 core machines and run a cluster if it works for you licensing and application scaling wise.
Still overall Xeon-D seems the ideal platform for small servers that don't need extreme single threaded performance.
Personally, I don't think $2200 is that excessive for a 16 core, 32 thread part that also has dual 10Gb, low power, and includes the cost of the board, compared against most E5 anyway. Of course your IPC per core isn't as strong, but its strong enough imo.