Why oh why Freenas 11.1 - mountroot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Diavuno

What gives, I've gone through so many hoops with FreeNAS never getting it to work right (the short lived V10 worked!!)
It seems freenas is super popular, but freenas in particular has always given me a hard time.

ehci no disks plugged in, no usb pluged in, raid cards, jbod, intels controller in ahci or raid (not going to use ide mode)

I've tried formatting the disks and (in windows diskpart) cleaning them.

if you gents know what I'm doing wrong Id like to give it a try, but frankly I'm so sick of this not working I'm about ready to buy another RAID card.

Chris Web

Sep 12, 2017
What gives, I've gone through so many hoops with FreeNAS never getting it to work right (the short lived V10 worked!!)
It seems freenas is super popular, but freenas in particular has always given me a hard time.

ehci no disks plugged in, no usb pluged in, raid cards, jbod, intels controller in ahci or raid (not going to use ide mode)

I've tried formatting the disks and (in windows diskpart) cleaning them.

if you gents know what I'm doing wrong Id like to give it a try, but frankly I'm so sick of this not working I'm about ready to buy another RAID card.
Try openmediavault

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you mainly care about zero config and trouble free ZFS storage (FC/iSCSI, NFS, SMB) and you do not need the plugins FreeNAS comes with and if your hardware is supported, the fastest and most stable ZFS server is Oracle Solaris, the origin of ZFS or Illumos, the free Open-ZFS Solaris fork with distributions like NexentaStor, OmniOS or OpenIndiana.

For me, main advantage of FreeNAS is the large community and the plugins like mediaservers, downloaders etc. Unlike Xpenology where such non-storage related/ homeserver add-ons get the best implementation due a commercial background, FreeNAS comes with a very solid ZFS implementation.

I see OMV more as an alternative to Xpenology, mainly a general use Linux based system with all the pain regarding a working ZFS during setup and updates.

Chris Web

Sep 12, 2017
I was testing illumos and others. OMV was super easy to setup zfs, a couple of searches for the daily and weekly chron scripts and I was done.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

azev

Jan 18, 2013
for me honestly the reason I choose Freenas over the other zfs is the availability of VAAI features.

Diavuno

So... I was installing pfsense today and as it was loading the installer I noticed something funny... it said the same exact error 5 unreadable error (or something like that)
I run to my office and grab a brand new USB-DVD drive...
I guess my trusty old Samsung drive has finally kicked the bucket
Its only 6 years old... and not like I keep it in my bag day in and day out...

the new ASUS USB-DVD drive had 11.1 (using yesterdays media) installed in 10 minutes.

Thanks guys