why not the Supermicro PWS-741P-1R?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I've only recently been introduced to the Supermicro world of servers and currently building my first servers using Supermicro chassis, the 846 in particular. I've read many threads here and other places and I've seen a lot of threads about swapping out the PSUs for the high efficiency and quiet models that end in -SQ. In my 846, I don't anticipate I will really need a lot of power. My estimates are around 280-300W idle with 24x drives, and about 400-450W under load. So, even the 900W PSUs seem more than adequate and I got several pairs for my project. However, these don't come cheap and the best deals I could score were around $75 each while they often are $100-$120.

Then, I came across the PWS-741P-1R, which is a platinum rated 740W PSU, though not an -SQ model. But in my recent experience of going through various Supermicro PSUs as I've been collecting parts for my project, these non-SQ "P" series PSUs that are platinum rated and almost just as quiet as the -SQ models. At least I can't hear them over the chassis fans. But the thing I noticed is that the PWS-741P-1R can be had for $40 or so. 740W still gives me enough room for my anticipated 450W max and now I wished I had gotten the PWS-741P-1R for half the price of the PWS-920P-SQ ones!

so, that brings me to my question: why aren't the PWS-741P-1R recommended more considering it has ample capacity, is quiet and efficient enough, and a LOT cheaper? are most other people's setup consuming more power? is there a secret place where the 920P-SQ can be had for cheaper than I've found? i'm thinking that the PWS-741P-1R is the optimal choice here, but wondering if I'm missing something?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The PWS-741P-1R is very efficient and very quiet. It is nearly as quiet as the 'SQ' models. It is a fine PSU and I use several of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I have 2. They are actually very quiet but still audible. The SQ PSUs are completely silent with a similar load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk