1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no avatars?

Discussion in 'STH Suggestions and Updates' started by TheBay, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RimBlock

RimBlock Member

Or if you have a high post count that you know everything ;).

2. jingjing

jingjing Banned

At least that way there is some kind of content control and it takes hotlinking out of the game (and changing the linked picture after the moderation).

3. TallGraham

TallGraham Member

I really, really, like this site and the forum. I have to say it is the best, and most polite forum I have ever seen in all my years of computing and the internet. Everyone here is so helpful.

One of the things I do like is that there are no avatars. As others have said it gives Patrick less to have to police, and also means there is nothing for people to find offensive. Let's remember here that it is a big world and what one person sees no offence in another can see a lot of offence in. It can easily be done and more often than not totally unintentionally too.

For my 2 pennies worth, please leave it as it is.

4. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

No avatars = faster mobile page loads.

5. 33_viper_33

33_viper_33 Member

There are about 6 folks here who's posts I always read due to my being interested in their project, or because they are true gurus if not simply badazz (DBA and mrkrad being my top two picks) that would be nice to highlight. But I generally agree with the no avatar crowd. As someone who often reads the forum on an old and slow tablet and on a phone when on the go, I like the fast load times. In addition, avatars bring in other topics that many will have differing opinions on. Keeping this forum strictly about computer and network hardware is key in keeping the polite atmosphere that exists. This is one of the main reasons I keep tabs on this forum; there is no need to pick the 3 good responses out of the 100 argument posts.

6. Diavuno

Diavuno Active Member

Hey Now!!!

Avatars are so important I didnt notice they are missing here!!!

A slight increase in Username font size would be nice though!

7. Aluminum

Aluminum Active Member

User uploadable avatars or remote img links allowed in sigs = every day you get to see some new NSFW depending on your HR deparment (typ. random boob shots or anime girl #21343), 5 billion variations of cats and internet meme of the week #13241, its really bad if animated gifs are allowed.

I made a long list of domains/url regexes to add to the proxy filter thanks to some other forums that have decent content but have low moderator : poster ratios

8. capn_pineapple

capn_pineapple Active Member

I like it how it is, but as mentioned above, I would like a slightly larger font size for posters names.

9. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Just went 0 for 12 on variables to change. Will try in the morning when I am somewhat awake.

10. compuguy

compuguy New Member

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but a prepared set of approved avatars, might be a good alternative (to avoid the NSFW, and such).

11. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Generally, this is working out OK.

12. funkywizard

funkywizard mmm.... bandwidth.

Looks to me like avatars are enabled. Thanks : )

13. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member