Why no avatars?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jingjing

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
At least that way there is some kind of content control and it takes hotlinking out of the game (and changing the linked picture after the moderation).

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
I really, really, like this site and the forum. I have to say it is the best, and most polite forum I have ever seen in all my years of computing and the internet. Everyone here is so helpful.

One of the things I do like is that there are no avatars. As others have said it gives Patrick less to have to police, and also means there is nothing for people to find offensive. Let's remember here that it is a big world and what one person sees no offence in another can see a lot of offence in. It can easily be done and more often than not totally unintentionally too.

For my 2 pennies worth, please leave it as it is.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
There are about 6 folks here who's posts I always read due to my being interested in their project, or because they are true gurus if not simply badazz (DBA and mrkrad being my top two picks) that would be nice to highlight. But I generally agree with the no avatar crowd. As someone who often reads the forum on an old and slow tablet and on a phone when on the go, I like the fast load times. In addition, avatars bring in other topics that many will have differing opinions on. Keeping this forum strictly about computer and network hardware is key in keeping the polite atmosphere that exists. This is one of the main reasons I keep tabs on this forum; there is no need to pick the 3 good responses out of the 100 argument posts.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
User uploadable avatars or remote img links allowed in sigs = every day you get to see some new NSFW depending on your HR deparment (typ. random boob shots or anime girl #21343), 5 billion variations of cats and internet meme of the week #13241, its really bad if animated gifs are allowed.

I made a long list of domains/url regexes to add to the proxy filter thanks to some other forums that have decent content but have low moderator : poster ratios

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just went 0 for 12 on variables to change. Will try in the morning when I am somewhat awake.

compuguy

Aug 23, 2017
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but a prepared set of approved avatars, might be a good alternative (to avoid the NSFW, and such).