Why does ZFS hate me and what am I doing wrong?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dssguy1

Apr 5, 2016
I opened a case on ebay to return the drives. Since I have only had them 24 days and the seller didn't mention any of this stuff, I think I will win the case. They listed them as "MINT almost no use". Not, 20,000 hours of spin time, 220+ TB of transfers and upwards of 1,000,000 errors! They also never mentioned that they would be SUN ORACLE drives with custom firmware. They even photo-shopped over the SUN ORACLE label in the auction so nobody would be scared away.

Thanks for walking me through this guys, I will see if popping in some of my other drives and making a new volume gets away from all the SCSI errors. If not, I'm coming back for more help!!

Reactions: gigatexal

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Yeah, 20k hours of run time is definitely NOT "almost no use". I have drives with nearly 3x that in my system running fine, but I wouldn't want to start out with them that way.

For drive testing, my favorite is to make a big mirror with all of them, fill it up, scrub frequently, destroy, repeat. A few cycles of that, usually over a week or so.. If they live and still pass SMART long tests, I get years out of them. Obviously, not a great plan for SSD, but I worry a lot less about those. When I was building my current 2x6-drive setup, I killed 3 drives out of the gate that way. :D QA sucks for spinning rust.

Dssguy1

Apr 5, 2016
So the ebay seller is NOT happy about the return but eBay already approved it. He tried to say that by "Mint Condition" he meant they looked nice and that 20,000 hours is barely used. Don't worry about massive amounts of errors and that he never even remotely mentioned they were actually SUN ORACLE (he photoshopped the SUN info off the eBay picture) drives with proprietary firmware.

Still waiting for the return shipping label but in the meantime anybody have any suggestions on some good 3-4tb drives?

I have 4 of the 4TB HGST 5400rpm Coolspin drives that I picked up new for $75 each and 2 of the He8 HGST drives from some MyBook shucking.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Good deal on those 4TB. Not sure what else to suggest, I haven't seen much that comes close to that.

That the drives looked nice on the outside... That's a good one. Just... wow.....

Percy

Oct 31, 2013
So the ebay seller is NOT happy about the return but eBay already approved it. He tried to say that by "Mint Condition" he meant they looked nice and that 20,000 hours is barely used. Don't worry about massive amounts of errors and that he never even remotely mentioned they were actually SUN ORACLE (he photoshopped the SUN info off the eBay picture) drives with proprietary firmware.

Still waiting for the return shipping label but in the meantime anybody have any suggestions on some good 3-4tb drives?

I have 4 of the 4TB HGST 5400rpm Coolspin drives that I picked up new for $75 each and 2 of the He8 HGST drives from some MyBook shucking.
Did you recently get thos $TB HGST Coolspins? If so, from where?

Dssguy1

Apr 5, 2016
Did you recently get thos $TB HGST Coolspins? If so, from where?
I got them from Fry's locally. They were $85 a couple weeks ago and then $20 off $150 or more. It was limited to 1 per person (lol, come on Fry's) but I had a few accounts and a wife who helped me get them all. Need more wives and I would have gotten 4 more!

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
I had really bad experience with used magnetic drives, too. Almost as bad as with new Seagate drives, har har I slay myself.

Anyway. Either shipping does something to them, or some people's perception or "working fine" is different than mine, or some people are not nice.

Imagining how somebody sits there with a stupid winblows box that doesn't display anything useful about the drives and how they operate (such as error messages) I can see where this is coming from. IIRC harddrives are the only thing I buy new.