Why are motherboard failing Windows Server 2012?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Seen a few ASUS boards and others not working with Windows Server 2012. Any idea why? Windows 8 and Server 2012 have been in beta for a long time.

Truckchase!

Oct 10, 2012
North Central US
Seen a few ASUS boards and others not working with Windows Server 2012. Any idea why? Windows 8 and Server 2012 have been in beta for a long time.
I wish I knew. I've got a P8B-E/4L I'm sitting on patiently (?) waiting for a BIOS update to get 2012 installed. I haven't found a workaround yet.

5loth

Nov 3, 2011
The error is "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR" and requires a BIOS update to fix. Asus have not confirmed they will be releasing an update to fix the issue, and if they haven't by now I'm not all that hopeful they will. I have seen mention that they won't be at all.

I gave up waiting and ordered a SuperMicro board, won't be buying Asus "server" motherboards again.

wkearney99

Aug 3, 2012
I gave up waiting and ordered a SuperMicro board, won't be buying Asus "server" motherboards again.
This. SuperMicro might not have a ton of bells and whistles on their boards (I'd like some with DVI/HDMI) but they usually just work and stay that way, even when a new OS comes out. I've had consistently bad luck with Asus on that front over the years. All those extras they tack on end up being incompatible later. Hard to argue they "should have known" or that they should keep updating ancient boards, but abandoned hardware certainly influences future purchasing choices.

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
I am not familiar with this motherboard.
Please check if EPT is turned on in the BIOS (Extended Page Table support). Not to be confused with VT support. Intel Xeon 5500 Series were the first generation Xeons with EPT support.

Due to the significant performance impact in VMs, Hyper-V (WS12) requires EPT, while Hyper-V (WS08) supported it optional.

Andy

Last edited:

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
This. SuperMicro might not have a ton of bells and whistles on their boards (I'd like some with DVI/HDMI) but they usually just work and stay that way, even when a new OS comes out. I've had consistently bad luck with Asus on that front over the years. All those extras they tack on end up being incompatible later. Hard to argue they "should have known" or that they should keep updating ancient boards, but abandoned hardware certainly influences future purchasing choices.
Agreed. All my SM boards needed to install Win2012 was a BIOS upgrade to the latest version which I should have done anyway. They run like champions.

Asus use the extras to differentiate themselves from meat and potatoes companies like SM. They end up paying a price every few years when a new OS comes a along. But hey, My Dell workstation can't handle Win8 either and what's less feature packed than a Dell mobo!

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
A new OS & new tricks + Old-school hardware & tons of added wan features = headaches getting all the play nice.

SM boards are just plain old stable monsters, they just work.

ASUS and a few others try to add desktop wants to workstation and server boards, if we want these features, we will add them with add-on cards that do a better job.

Win8/S2012 just try to be too smart with hardware and end up stumbling or crashing.