Who here know more about HP, IBM Blade Server System?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
I got an HP Blade Server from a friend of mine a while ago and I dont use them since I had nothing who I need for more CPU Power.
So I was looking for a Server Rack and found afiew Meter away from my House a Company who offert beside of the Server Rack a "free" IBM Blade Chassis and a HP Blade Chassis to. So now I have 2 HP Chassis + Server at Home good as spare...
Next to me now I have 10 Blade Server with 2 different CPUs one is a Xeon the other some AMD. I guess 2 or so.
Well it seem a former IT Admin take quite all Ram out of them so I will to replace them. Some machines have a "missing" CPU with a Cover.
The AMD CPU Cooler look like that:

Its possible to transplant a CPU from the other AMD Blade with the CPU Cooler in the Link into the Server to have 2x AMD?
Sure I would need Ram to. It seem that Ram get cheaper.

Can I use "normal" consumer 2,5" SSDs in the "old" Blade Server? Sorry I dont have power the Blade Up and cant say that kind of CPU the use.

For the IBM Bladeserver + Chassis I dont have any Information since I need to remount them into the Rack (who is not in my Office currently do to the Bulkiness).
Thanks!!!

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
The CPU's aren't really "missing" the CPU if it has a cover and Socket 1 is populated. To answer whether you could take the CPU and heatsink from a blade server and put it in another one to make a 2 socket system, it depends on 2 things: 1) The heatsink for socket 2 is the same as socket 1 and 2) the CPU's are the same. I believe the answer to #1 is yes from what I can tell.

penrhos

Nov 23, 2020
We use HP blades exclusively - just about to throw out 20 Gen7 BL460c and 10 Gen8's - we don't use the AMD version so my findings may not 100% match.

There are two banks of memory - one per CPU so if you fit the second CPU you'll have to match the ram in both banks.

If you locate a matching CPU (ie take it from an identical blade) and fit it into socket #2 it'll work as a dual cpu blade.

I'll check the heatsinks next time I'm on site - but I'm pretty sure they are identical for both CPU's.

If you use non-HP ram or disks the BMC sometimes throws a fit and can cause the fans to ramp up or for the blade to become "Throttled".

Bigger problem with HP chassis is using VCEM to manage the profiles in a home environment (as the VC modules are presented as virtual networks/san ports).

Ram is PC3-10600R or PC3L-10600R - faster CPU's use 12800R - older Gen7's I've found with 8500R installed.

I have about 3Tb worth of 8Gb sticks in boxes at work we stripped out of servers before scrapping them - we don't bother anymore as G9's and newer take DDR4. I've just thrown away 100 * 4Gb sticks of Dell/HP server ram - if you need 1Gb HP SFP's I have loads as we've upgraded all our chassis to 10Gb.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
HI
Thanks for replay I need to see what I got. I have yesterday picked up remaining Server Rack.
So I need so assembly everything together.
Lg