Which used power controller should I be thinking about?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Schut

Apr 13, 2020
I've been limping along with a mass of discrete desktops in my home server room, but this has been the year I finally got a proper rack and have begun updating and consolidating machines. I've got about 18U worth of gear right now, although a third of that will likely be powered off most of the time.

I have one of these:

It's reasonable for what it does, but I wouldn't mind something rack mounted and a bit more professional.

What used gear for controlling power outlets via the network should I be looking at? I definitely need to power things on & off, and it would be nice to see power load, but not required.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I'd suggest looking for used APC PDUs on the eBay - make sure to see the word "Switching" in the model name.
This is one I have (got it for free) APC AP7900B - it typically goes a low as $125-150.
If you have a proper Rack, then I highly recommend looking for 42U tall but Zero U (it mounted behind the rack, not taking any precious U space in the rack)
Never heard about make/model you found, it likely to do same, but APC built like tanks - I don't recollect ever seeing any issues with APC enterprise-class equipment.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
They seem to offer a rack mount version of the same switch if you like what you have currently, and they are pretty cheap.

Beyond that there are APC and Eaton managed PDU's to look at on ebay with various different configuration depending on how many outlets you need and the desired orientation. You can get "Zero-U" vertical ones that slide into the key hole slots int he back of most racks, with 24+ outlets, and 1U ~8 outlets ones and 2U ~16 outlet versions. 120V or 208/230/240V & 3 phase versions from all the big players.

Just be sure to test any APC ones you get used as soon as they come in. If you try and do a firmware upgrade and it fails return/toss it. New they are overly expensive, but used for 8 port ones in the $100-$150 range depending on how patient you are shopping for them.

Todd F

Sep 25, 2019
An option that I stumbled upon was ServerTech CDUs. I have one that's essentially the same features as the APC listed in the 2nd post, but it was ~$40. I have a CW-8H1-C20 that I'm happy with. Network monitoring, flash upgradable, aggregate power monitoring, power sequencing, individual outlet control (delay, on-off, etc). These can also be paired with a CX model for expansion.

In general though, carefully check the plugs and voltage, many, many of them are 208V or have high current plugs that won't be very usable.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
I picked up a couple of Raritan DominionPX PDUs (yes, it really is almost the same name as the KVM units) for super cheap, and I've been happy with them. Ethernet, web interface, switching and monitoring. I guess it's just not what most people would search for, which helps with pricing!

jrybolt

May 20, 2021
I recently picked up an APC 7901 with older firmware than the other one I have. When I go to APC's site it appears they no longer list the firmware for download. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help is appreciated.