Which SSD have auto garbage collection?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
So as you see the topic, would be good, if we could collect information on consumer/pro/datacenter ssd that have auto garbage collection. I know that all Intel DC (S3500/S3510/S3600/S3700) have it, but does 730 and 750 pci ssd have it?
Maybe you know other ssd that also have it?

Collecting information will give valuable knowledge on buying ssd for systems that use h/w raid or raid card.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
As far as I know, all SSDs have builtin garbage collection, in fact I am fairly certain that builtin GC predates TRIM.

What I am guessing you really want to ask, is what SSDs are actually usable without TRIM, ie only relying on GC.
Of course this question is much more complex, because it obviously differs greatly, depending on the algorithms used, what target applications the devices target and thus how they are tweaked (which is not public knowledge).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You also need to understand subtle differences in how each SSD manufacturer tunes their GC algorithms, in some cases how the same manufacturer tunes them for different markets.

For example, the Micron-based consumer SSDs (e.g. Crucial M500) are notorious for having significant performance drop-offs during GC. Most of the time these SSDs are tuned to do GC during "idle" periods, with the assumption being that consumer use cases are mostly idle anyway. But if GC triggers when the device is active watch out - transfer rates collapse to the floor until it gets all done.

Most "Enterprise" SSDs (e.g., Samsung PM853T) tune their GC to be rather continuous and done in small steps. This causes the SSD to deliver slightly lower peak performance and consumes more power, but also causes the SSD to deliver consistent performance without the big dropouts seen in consumer SSDs. It also handles the continuous usage of Enterprise workloads better - it does not depend upon the SSD ever experiencing idle periods to work.

In fact, sometimes manufacturers will deliver substantially identical SSDs with different GC algorithms into different markets. For example, Samsung delivers SSDs into the Enterprise, prosumer and consumer markets that are almost identical, except that the Enterprise drive in the series has GC tuned for consistency at the expense of peak and the prosumer/consumer version may be tuned for Peak over consistency (along with differences in case materials and over-provisioning levels, of course).

Almost all recent SSDs will have GC. How effective it is and what side-effects it has differ widely. YMMV.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
PigLover, then better look at consumer/pro with GC tuned for step by step work... Do you have any examples of such?