Which SAS3 drives to avoid for connecting to a SAS2 controller and backplane?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chicken76

Jun 28, 2017
For an older server (sandy/ivy generation) that has a SAS2 backplane I've added a LSI2008-based card (flashed to IT-mode), but procuring drives from that era is getting harder. There are plenty of SAS3 drives available though, new and used. So the question is: which SAS3 drives are to be avoided? A quick search turned up some Seagate drives as not negotiating properly down to 6Gbit. Any other drives people have had problems with in this kind of scenario?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
what do you mean "procuring drives from that era is getting harder" ? they are all over ebay.com and other places?

i've never had issues with HGST drives, SAS-3 or otherwise. and since WD's enterprise stuff is now essentially what use to be HGST, those are usually good too. for HDDs, there are really only 3 players now, WD/HGST, Seagate, and Toshiba. Toshiba's 3.5" products are basically HGST too... so really, the only stuff to avoid is Seagate. But, only *some* Seagate 3.5" SAS-3 HDDs have the problem you mention, not all of them; probably the earlier models.

Reactions: Navy_BOFH

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I have two used HGST SAS3 drives that are a few years old and work great in my even older LSI 9260 SAS2 card.