Which RAM & Mobo for Xeon E3-1230 V2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I selected the wrong parts for an All-In-One box I want to build for home usage. I should have went with an ECC system instead of the 3930k non-ECC route. :c(

I am now going to go with an Xeon E3-1230 v2. I will be running ESXi v5.1 with OI + napp-it 24/7. I will also be running few other VM's but they will be more for playing around and labs for IT certifications. I love how the CPU is only $220 and is great on electricity.

Motherboard:

It seems people recommend SuperMicro, but there are so many models. I would like the board to work with 2x IBM M1015, Intel Gigabit NIC, onboard video, 2x SATA ports and USB 3.0 headers if available.

RAM:

I would like to use 32GB. I know I need to have DDR3 ECC Unbuffered (UDIMM). However, what speed matches the 1230 V2 if I do not overclock. Is it 1333 or 1600? The Intel site says both 1333/1600 so am I correct that all I need is 1333 to take full 1:1 advantage of this processor? Anyone have a good place to order from in the US, seems like Newegg is sold out of them all. :c/ I noticed some great deals on eBay and FS forums but they are Hynix and Samsung brand. I am just afraid to order them as if the stick fails, I am SOL as only Kingston/Crucial offer lifetime warranty.

Appreciate any feedback!

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I see you changed your mind :)

I like this board for mATX because it has dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controllers which are supported OOB with ESX. A lot boards have one of those + a 82579LM port which is not supported. It also has a dedicated realtek nic for IPMI and 4x PCIe slots. Also has onboard Matrox VGA chipset.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
Not sure if this meets all your needs but I used the Supermicro X9SCM-F. I picked it because it was inexpensive and at the time was one of the only boards that 4x PCI-E slots and IPMI. The X9SCM is the same board without the IPMI onboard management. Neither board has USB 3.0.

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
One important thing to note if you do go with the Supermicro X9SCM or X9SCM-F. The original versions don't support the v2 procs without a BIOS update. Not an issue except you need a processor to run the BIOS update. At this point much of the channel has likely cleared out older stock but something to double check with your vendor before pulling the trigger unless you have an older proc handy.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011

I like this board for mATX because it has dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controllers which are supported OOB with ESX. A lot boards have one of those + a 82579LM port which is not supported. It also has a dedicated realtek nic for IPMI and 4x PCIe slots. Also has onboard Matrox VGA chipset.
I think you linked the wrong board. The X9SCM-f has one 82579LM and one 82574L - the LM is not compatible with ESXi without a patched driver.

The one he wants is just a slight part # difference - X9SCM-iif. That one uses 82574L for both NICs and both will work with ESXi out of the box.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011

I think you linked the wrong board. The X9SCM-f has one 82579LM and one 82574L - the LM is not compatible with ESXi without a patched driver.

The one he wants is just a slight part # difference - X9SCM-iif. That one uses 82574L for both NICs and both will work with ESXi out of the box.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Not sure if this meets all your needs but I used the Supermicro X9SCM-F. I picked it because it was inexpensive and at the time was one of the only boards that 4x PCI-E slots and IPMI. The X9SCM is the same board without the IPMI onboard management. Neither board has USB 3.0.

Think I will go with the X9SCM as I will not use IPMI, don't see the point of it for home usage unless I am missing something? Once the server is setup I do plan plan to do admin work strictly through the LAN even though it will be sitting behind me in the corner of my room.

Is the only difference between the X9SCM and X9SCM-F the extra NIC with IPMI support?

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Get IPMI. Only $20 more. Saves tons of time. Can also remote mount images. No need for cd or usb drive. No need to hook kvm in ever.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
What is a good vendor to order the X9SCM-iiF? Newegg and SuperBiiz do not carry this board. Looks like it is almost $100+ than the X9SCM-F!

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Hi, been down this road before, after money and time was spent here is what I recommend:

X9SCM-iiF if you don't need pcie-x16 slots, they come with new bios that support E3-12xxV2.

X9SCA-F if you do need x16, but you may need a cheap Celeron to update the BIOS before booting with E3-12xxV2.

X9SCI-LN4F if you need 4 lan ports and don't want to bother using another nic.

X9SCL+-F if you want the cheapest and you don't need Sata3.

For E3-12xx/V2 setups I recommend using dual rank 1.5v DDR3 ECC Unbuffered ram only, almost every ram issue I had with Supermicro in recent time came from 1.35v ram so I recommend staying away from them for at least a few more years.

The ram you're looking for with this setup are:
Kingston KVR1333D3E9S
Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CH9

There are cheaper options but these 2 are the current gold standard for E3-12xxV2. If you are building more than one server, you can get the 24G kit (3x8G) Kingston to save a few more bucks.

Btw SuperBiiz have stopped shipping internationally.

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
They are the same. -O has to do with packaging IIRC. There is -B which is bulk, then i think -O is single unit or OEM.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Great, the X9SCM-IIF-B is $185 via SuperBiiz. Wonder if they have free shipping coupon somewhere. $18 to get board shipped via cheapest method. Will wait it out a week or two and see if a promo comes up.

If I order Super Talent memory, do they offer lifetime warranty through them directly? I think Hynix does not provide warranty since they usually sell directly to OEM.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
With the -B you get the MB, IO Shield, book and CD in white or brown cardboard packaging. -O is retail packaging (pretty blue box) and they send random SATA cables and other junk that you probably don't need/want anyway.

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
Do go with X9SCM-iiF and it should be well under $200 and do get the one with IPMI even if you don't need it. Cost difference is less than $10. SuperTalent with Micron is the worst kind so do get either Samsung or Hynix originals (I've sold thousands and no RMA so far...). SuperTalent does have ones with Samsung or Hynix chips but only in 1333Mhz. My preference is Samsung/Hynix Original >> SUperTalent Samsung or Hynix 1333Mhz >> Supertalent Micron.

By the way, 1600Mhz are CL11 and 1333Mhz are CL9 so in real life aren't they about the same anyways? Slower clock speed is compensated by lower latency?

Last edited: