Which Rails do I need for a Supermicro 826

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
Hi there,
Recently picked up a used Supermicro 826. Looking to mount it in an IBM Rack I found in a dumpster...

I don't think it was ever a standard Supermicro model, I couldn't quite exactly match it to any SKU on their website. I think it might be a newer revision of the chassis because it has 2x 2.5" caddies at the rear between the PSU and I/O Shield.

Here's a photo of the side of the box.

Looking for a set of rails to mount it in my rack. There are so many options out there I'm kind of confused - if it was a standard SKU it would be a lot easier to check the SM website but I don't want to order the wrong thing!

I'm happy to spend on a set of real SM rails, but open to off brand options too if there's something just as good which would save me a few dollars. Bonus for shipping from/to Canada, although I can get it sent to the States and pick it up next time I'm there as well.

Can provide more photos/information if needed.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
As far as I know, there are no off brand options for Supermicro.

The standard option would be the "yellow label" MCP-290-00053-0N rails. They allow you to completely pull out the chassis and open the lid without having to take it out of the rack and rails.

Can you post some pictures of the inside of the chassis? Just to check that it is a standard 826 SKU

Beware of the green label MCP-290-00057-0N kit - Depending on the chassis, it will be too short to open the lid without removing the chassis from the rails

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
826 + two rear bay? very likely that it's a 826b (unless it's a frankenstein mod :p): the standard railkit for 826b is MCP-290-00053-0N
if it was a standard SKU it would be a lot easier to check the SM website
Did you check all side?
All of mine supermicro chassis had a sticker with the sku on it

sko

Jun 11, 2021
According to the optional parts lists for some of the variants on this list on supermicro.com, MCP-290-00053-0N should be the correct rail kit for that chassis. MCP-290-00058-0N is the shorter variant.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
my 2 cents. use the supermicro site. get whatever id numbers you can off the chassis, use the online sales chat - just verify. Order them there if they'll ship to Canada, or ask for a reseller in Canada, or use a reshipper (or a nice person here) if you only need a set. The new ones will be perfect, come extremely well packaged. Buying used rails is a real crapshoot off the bay. Not worth the money you think you'll save if you get some with frozen bearings, or warp/bent inner rails.

What everyone is telling you is on the mark for part numbers. I've got (or had) both older and newer 216's, 826's and older 836's, a 417's and an 846's. 53-0N's . Same rails worked on all of them, long extension to get them to clear the rack is awesome. But YMMV hence my suggestion to go to the mfg.

there are "after market" static rails that you can buy, you have to pull the chassis out of the rack and off the rails to work on the server. IMO There's real value in being able to change or upgrade harware without having to remove the server from the rack. That static rails are about half the cost of the supermicro ones (new). The static rail savings I feel are significant if you are deploying LOTS of servers and can take them offline for extended periods to perform maintenance.

Not knowing the specs on your rack (post a pic of the vertical rails), probably square holes but could be round holes. It makes a difference for what parts you need to mount the rails if they are round holes. If you are going to mount more stuff and you have square holes then you may want to check the chatsworth site and see if they are still giving away sample bags of click nuts. - work great. My sample bag had something like 20 or so.

Reactions: Markess

sko

Jun 11, 2021
my 2 cents. use the supermicro site. get whatever id numbers you can off the chassis, use the online sales chat - just verify. Order them there if they'll ship to Canada, or ask for a reseller in Canada, or use a reshipper (or a nice person here) if you only need a set.
exactly *THIS*
Supermicro gear - or server/enterprise gear in general - tends to be heavily overpriced on the 'grey market' (i.e. ebay, amazon, huge "we-sell-everything-we-can-get"-retailers etc...), their actual MSP or prices at officiall resellers are usually much more sane.
Often even the used stuff on ebay is more expensive than brand-new directly from SM or one of their official resellers.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
Appreciate all the comments. Consensus seems to be 53-0N Rev B.

Can you post some pictures of the inside of the chassis? Just to check that it is a standard 826 SKU
Here are some more photos. Of note, I already changed the motherboard because I wanted to build around Intel QuickSync for Transcoding.
The original mobo was an X9SCL-F.

826 + two rear bay? very likely that it's a 826b (unless it's a frankenstein mod :p): the standard railkit for 826b is MCP-290-00053-0N

Did you check all side?
All of mine supermicro chassis had a sticker with the sku on it
It's possible it got removed. I had a good look around when I changed the mobo. There's definitely no sticker.
Engraved on the back behind the IO Shield is the number 01-SC82626-XX00C102. Nothing comes up when I punch that into Google.

Also note that 00053 has original (no sticker) and Rev. B (noted on sticker). Same length, so both allow pulling the chassis fully out of the rack, but the inners and outers from the two revisions do not mix. I think chassis designed for the original had extra tabs that won't fit Rev B. inner rails? Might not be an issue for 826.

This is exactly why I asked! I had come across a post or two of people getting the wrong ones.

my 2 cents. use the supermicro site. get whatever id numbers you can off the chassis, use the online sales chat - just verify. Order them there if they'll ship to Canada, or ask for a reseller in Canada, or use a reshipper (or a nice person here) if you only need a set. The new ones will be perfect, come extremely well packaged. Buying used rails is a real crapshoot off the bay. Not worth the money you think you'll save if you get some with frozen bearings, or warp/bent inner rails.

Not knowing the specs on your rack (post a pic of the vertical rails), probably square holes but could be round holes. It makes a difference for what parts you need to mount the rails if they are round holes. If you are going to mount more stuff and you have square holes then you may want to check the chatsworth site and see if they are still giving away sample bags of click nuts. - work great. My sample bag had something like 20 or so.
I was planning on buying from Amazon.com and shipping to a US address where I can pick it up later.
I don't have a picture but they are square holes. Thanks for the link.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
Reviving an old thread here as I still have not purchased any rails. Traveling to the US at the end of the month so I'm planning to get SM to ship some to an address down there.

I had the online CS Rep run the Serial No on the side of my chassis and they gave me the chassis sku 826BE16-R920LPB

The listed compatible rail set is "MCP-290-00058-0N - Short Rail Set"

I'm worried this won't work with the rack I have, but I'm not really sure how to verify.

Rack is an IBM model (not sure exactly which). I literally found it on a garbage pile so I'm not emotionally attached to it if it won't work out. I think it might be (nominally) 29" deep.

It's about 28 1/4" from the front square holes to the rear. Around the 25" mark there's another set of square holes at 90* to the main front and rears - not sure if they're useful for anything.

Could anyone help me figure out of the 58-0N or 53-0N will work with both my chassis and my rack? Neither of their product pages say what rack depth they're suitable for (unless I'm mistaken)

I found this post on reddit which makes me think the 58-0N isn't correct for the chassis despite what the supermicro site says?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The 00058 is not deep enough for your rack; it only fits rack depth of around 20-27". It also does not extend enough (24") to pull the 826 fully out. Stick with the 00053, rack depth 26.5-36.4", extension 27". It's pricey but is really the only option.

purplegreendave

Mar 22, 2020
I'm fine with the price I'm just paranoid because even the Supermicro website and Chat Rep seems to be misleading me now! If they shipped to Canada and I could return them I'd be less stressed about this. I'm gonna go ahead with the 53s, worst case scenario I'll flog them on ebay I guess