Which Prozessor for HyperV 200-500 machines

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EnigmaMachine

Sep 29, 2022
Hey im really new here and probably posting in the wrong section, so im already sorry for this.

So here is my question.. i currently have 2 PC's which i use for hyperV both of them run about 40-50 windows machines without a problem.

I now want to build a virtualization server which can handle a minimum of 200 windows machines but i dont know which processor i need for this.

Can anyone help me? thanks in advance!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What are these machines doing? Video encoding? Web servers? Database hosting?
200x 4GB => 800 GByte ram. for that much ram I would start looking at dual cpu setups...

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Windows can barely run on 4GB - at least not if it has to do anything - but yes - dual or potentially quad socket boards.

So if you stay on the Xeon E series - which is cheap these days - you are looking at Xeon E5 26xx v4 series for dual socket motherboards and E5-46XX v4 for 4 socket boards & E7-88xx v4 series for more than 8 sockets.

But depending on what type of workload you run on your servers, its hard to come with a precise recommendation :)

But I like the E5 series xeons.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Due to page sharing between VMs, one VM could be only 0.5-1 GB of private RAM. Still unwise to go below 512 GB of RAM. CPU is rarer the bottleneck, any dual EPYC 32-core with sufficient RAM on a Supermicro board is probably ok. I/O system has to be beefy, so no HDDs, no SATA SSDs, only NVME or SAS3 SSDs I would say. Difficult to tell without knowing the workload. Single or dual 25 Gbps out the box to wherever is plenty.

Reactions: EnigmaMachine

EnigmaMachine

Sep 29, 2022
Thanks for all the replies, so the virtual machines are currently running python webbrowser automation bots in windows - they all only need 1gb of ram since thats enough (i can use them without a problem for surfing when the bot doesnt run), all of them are running exactly one browser and one python script. I want to scale my machine up to 200-500 of them thanks in advance again!

EnigmaMachine

Sep 29, 2022
Due to page sharing between VMs, one VM could be only 0.5-1 GB of private RAM. Still unwise to go below 512 GB of RAM. CPU is rarer the bottleneck, any dual EPYC 32-core with sufficient RAM on a Supermicro board is probably ok. I/O system has to be beefy, so no HDDs, no SATA SSDs, only NVME or SAS3 SSDs I would say. Difficult to tell without knowing the workload. Single or dual 25 Gbps out the box to wherever is plenty.
Do you think you could name me any models im not really good with the hardware.. and thanks already!

jasonsansone

Sep 15, 2020
Someone (hint: me) is selling a Supermicro X10Dri-LN4+ with 2x E5-2697 v4 processors in the sale thread. That board has 24 DIMM slots supporting up to 3TB memory.

Edit: why windows? Linux would be much lighter weight, scale easier, and of course not require 500 licenses.

Last edited:

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
the virtual machines are currently running python webbrowser automation bots in windows
I feel like running 500 bots is a violation of someone's terms of service, but maybe I'm wrong. You probably don't want @jasonsansone 's X10Dri-LN4+ - they are nice boards but they are too tall to fit in most cases.
The de facto choice for "I need a lot of RAM but not a lot of CPU" is something like a 16-core EPYC and 8x64 of DDR4. 500 Windows VM's is going to be tough, even with a 64-core Epyc you are 10x oversubscribed.

Reactions: jasonsansone