Which OS, Software for an Pi4?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
I order an Qnap USB to SATA Box for 8 SATA HDD now I looking (when it arrive here) an Software for my 4GB or 8GB Raspberry Pi 4.
I dont care that much about Performance since the I/O Speed get Distributed with all the USB Bus so...
I hope that its possible to use the Ram as an Cache. And Yes I have an UPS so it would be nice to access them via Lan and shutdown when the get trigger.
I heard about many different Software but I never used them or even installed them.
So what does anyone here recommend to run on the Pi4?
Thanks

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
You are taking the hard road with the least possibility of success/reliability, but that is your choice.

Consider the following:

1. Cancel order for QNAP USB expansion enclosure
2. A Pi is not going to have enough performance to function as a pseudo NAS
3. Consider switching to open source NAS SW TrueNAS Open Storage | ZFS for the Home to the Data Center CORE or SCALE (still in development) running on an x86 machine
4. You will need a UPS USB console connection to an appliance that can monitor the UPS. TrueNAS can do that assuming it's a supported brand.

Last edited:

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
1. Cancel order for QNAP USB expansion enclosure
Why?
running on an x86 machine
Well I dont have any who is power efficient. Just an old N36L Server...
Consider switching to open source NAS SW
Well I never want to use something elese.
Is saw Linus is use that. I never used them before.
You will need a UPS USB console connection to an appliance that can monitor the UPS.
Well I will not feel fine when a NAS (OS) could potentially kill my Server.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Well I dont have any who is power efficient. Just an old N36L Server...
If the N36L isn't doing anything else, you can take TrueNAS CORE or SCALE for a spin. Seems some been successful and even upgraded to 16GB RAM

You will need a SSD in an external USB enclosure or replace the optical drive with a SSD drive tray for the boot drive

https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/i130pt