Which NAS Drives for my 2xRAIDz2 Pool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey all,

I currently have a storage pool consisting of 2x 6 drive RAIDz2 vdevs with 12x 4TB WD Reds in total.
It also has two 512GB Samsung 850 Pro's as L2ARC and two mirrored 100GB Intel S3700 drives as SLOG's.

I have started to creep up on that 80% full threshold, so the time has come for a drive upgrade

I have been comparing the following drives:

Option 1:
12x 8TB WD Red. $274 a piece, for $3288 in total

This was my first choice, as my current WD Reds have treated me well over the last 3.5 years, but I'm always open to options.

Option 2:

12x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf $269 a piece, for $3228 in total

Next I looked into these. I have some discomfort with Seagate drives due to their historic high failure rates, but IO do hear the Ironwolfs are better.

Option 3:
12x 8TB HGST HE8 $274.99 a piece, for $3299.88 in total

Then I stumbled across these HGST drives. With the HE10's now selling, they are the previous generation, but they are 7200rpom, as opposed to the 5400rpm drives I am comparing them to, and HGST has a great reputation for being bulletproof.

So, I guess I'm leaning towards the HGST HE8's (the current gen HE10's blow my budget) but my question is, is there any reason I shouldn't get these? Is the older design a problem? Are there any other drives I should be considering? A lot of people tell me I should shuck MyBook Duo's, and that sure does seem like a way to save money, but you also get much less warranty.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
From that list, I'd go WD Red (my personal preference) or HGST, although the WD Red 8TB and 10TB helium drives basically are HGST drives anyway (WD bought HGST a while ago).

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
So, I wound up going with none of these.

After much hand wringing and price comparison (and getting over my Seagate discomfort after their abysmal failure rates in 2TB and 3TB era) I decided to go with 10TB Seagate Helium Enterprise drives (ST10000NM0016)

I'm 4 drives in. They seem pretty snappy, and surprisingly quiet for 7200rpm drives. (They may even be quieter than my existing 3-4 year old 5400rpm 4TB WD Reds)

Lets hope I don't live to regret this. I haven't used a Seagate drive since the last PATA drives I bought in ~2001.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am sure the enterprise Seagate will be good.
I would have said HE8 , at the same price as the other consumer disks I think it’s a slam dunk. They are good drives.

Whatever the brand I would choose enterprise I’ve prosumer all day long.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I am sure the enterprise Seagate will be good.
I would have said HE8 , at the same price as the other consumer disks I think it’s a slam dunk. They are good drives.

Whatever the brand I would choose enterprise I’ve prosumer all day long.
The HE8's were my first choice, but I found that all of the drives I could find were OEM drives and thus lacked manufacture warranty.

Without manufacture warranty, they weren't worth it to me. I looked at the newer He10 and he12 drives, but they were a little bit more money than I was willing to pay.