Which fiber should I install in a new building?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
That is factually incorrect.
How can this be incorrect? My contractor presented me a choice of cables, one was AWG 23 (labelled CAT.7) and one was AWG 22 (labelled CAT.7A). I chose the AWG 22 cable because larger diameter means less heat dissipation. I made this choice because I want to install PoE+ devices on some of the outlets connected with this cable. The Keystones terminating the Cables will be CAT.6A anyway.

I will probably try using 10GBase-T at some point, but most devices will be 1GBase-T.

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
How can this be incorrect? My contractor presented me a choice of cables, one was AWG 23 (labelled CAT.7) and one was AWG 22 (labelled CAT.7A). I chose the AWG 22 cable because larger diameter means less heat dissipation. I made this choice because I want to install PoE+ devices on some of the outlets connected with this cable. The Keystones terminating the Cables will be CAT.6A anyway.

I will probably try using 10GBase-T at some point, but most devices will be 1GBase-T.
Because the question was what's the difference between Cat6a and basically Cat7 and upwards. The statements was the difference is just the thickness of the copper. That is just plain wrong.

Like I said anything better than Cat6a has each pair individually screened. The cable is electrically a bundle of four miniature twinax cables; a coax cable with two cores. This is electrically completely difference from balanced pair cables which everything up to Cat6a is. Unless you are terminating these with end to end properly, so effectively CG45 as Terra connectors are not remotely compatible with anything then by using Cat7a cable you have made things worse, probably much worse than had you stuck with Cat6a.

It's a hard lesson but you have be ignorant or wilfully stupid to actually install anything better than Cat6a. Higher is not always better and in the case of Cat7 and up actually worse. We could do with an EEVblog video on why this is the case.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I've honestly never considered F/UTP, S/FTP cables. My Cat6 cables are 23AWG purchased around 10 years ago, rated to 550 MHz printed on its sheath. It has a twisted spline separating the 4 pairs. If you're concerned about having the correct conductor size for PoH you can get Cat6a in 23 AWG. Looks like there aren't any Cat6a in 22 AWG.

Ask for a sample of the cable to see how each pair are shielded. Worse case get some bulk cables yourself and have your contractor run them. You can choose to terminate.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I am confused by your nomenclature of patch cord "A to A; A to B." Methods describe both ends. So I take "A to A" straight through/method A; "A to B" meaning universal/method B.
I was looking at more information and the A to A, A to B commonly describes duplex patch cables. MPO/MTP use methods A, B, and C but methods A and B could use the term A-to-A, and A-to-B, respectively.

Unveil Polarity of MTP/MPO Multi-Fiber Cable Solutions - Fiber Optic Cabling Solutions at "Two Polarity of Traditional Duplex Patch Cable"

How to Ensure MTP/MPO Polarity of the Patch Cable Right? describes common ways to connect cassettes.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
The copper runs are already done, all in conduit (mandatory for ethernet and coaxial cabling here), so I can rerun them if needed. I made the contractor use as few bends as possible and no sharp bends on the conduit so I actually have a chance of rerunning cables through the conduit.

All rooms have at least one copper/ethernet run in conduit, most rooms have two copper/ethernet runs and one coaxial/tv run in conduit.

Last edited:

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I did some more testing what components to use in the office where the MTP-12 fiber should end in a wallplate.

I'm using components from GIRA that look the same as all other wallplates that will be installed in the house.

The keystone insert that I got from a Logilink NK0030 fits well in a GIRA MJ-08 (14,8 mm x 19,0 mm). More than 19,0 mm (I tested with 19,3 mm up to 20,0 mm) would not hold the keystone insert properly.

Another keystone insert that I got from a Fiberstore Modular Panel fits well in a GIRA MJ-03 (14,8 mm x 20,0 mm). It needs the 20,0 mm height and won't fit in 19,5 mm height or less.

Components for first test:
- In-Wall Box
- GIRA MJ-08 (14,8 mm x 19,0 mm) Keystone holder
- Logilink NK0030 Keystone insert
- FiberStore UP/DOWN MTP-12 Adapter
- FiberStore MTP-12 Trunk cable
GIRA MJ-08 Logilink #1.jpgGIRA MJ-08 Logilink #2.jpgGIRA MJ-08 Logilink #3.jpg

Components for second test:
- In-Wall Box
- GIRA MJ-03 (14,8 mm x 20,0 mm) Keystone holder
- Fiberstore Keystone insert (form Fiberstore Modular Panel)
- FiberStore UP/DOWN MTP-12 Adapter
- FiberStore MTP-12 Trunk cable
GIRA MJ-03 FiberStore #1.jpgGIRA MJ-03 FiberStore #2.jpgGIRA MJ-03 FiberStore #3.jpg

Keystone Inserts side by side with the MTP-12 Adapter
Left: Fiberstore Keystone Insert
Middle: Logilink Keystone insert
Right: MTP-12 Adapter
Fiberstore Logilink MTP.jpg

Lessons learned:
  • The Adapter can be oriented horizontally in the keystone insert (Logilink) or vertically (FiberStore)
  • The FiberStore adapter allows for multiple keystone inserts mounted side by side, the flange on the adapter prevents this when using the Logilink keystone insert
  • Not every keystone insert fits in every keystone holder, there are a lot of variants and you may have to try different variants to find one that fits your keystone insert
  • Both keystone inserts will work for my case without creating a too small bend radius for the fiber within the in-wall box.