Where can I find hdd trays/caddies for HGST 4U60G2 60 bay chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JonEhh9571

Apr 19, 2022
Where can I find hdd trays/caddies for HGST 4U60G2 60 bay chassis?

I looked all over ebay and some brokers (grey market / referb) and not one has them in stock. I have 3x perfectly usable chassis with controllers and all just no dang hdd trays. I can't even seem to find the model number of the tray. Looking at the manual its just referenced as a tray.

- Does anyone 3d print them?
- Can share 3d print design?

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I have a 4u60 and a great 3d scanner. I could try taking one apart and scanning/photographing all the parts. I assume the 4u60G2 uses the same trays. Did you ever find any?

Reactions: ari2asem

wallentx

Oct 8, 2021
The User Guides have the schematics of them, depending on which revision of the doc you are looking at. The tease of it, is that some of the versions show that they clearly have a cad of the carrier.

Rev. 1.7 - Page 35 - https://dakel.com/pdf/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf
Rev. 1.3 - Page 51 - https://tiscom.ru/sites/default/files/additional/4u60-storage-enclosure-user-guide.pdf
Rev. 1.9 - Page 36 - https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/d/6/1/a/248315264e954832c3ceee87fe126a9277d4.pdf

I got lucky and found ~30 from a seller on ebay.co.uk, and a few others on ebay that came with 4tb drives, but I need about 10 more..

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
I don't think you could 3d print them. I have a large number (hundreds) of caddies in bits (when you take the drive out there are a *lot* of separate pieces which all come apart) from a HGST VSP system, that are currently in the data centre awaiting disposal. The are located in the UK but I could stick an eBay listing up

Reactions: ari2asem

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
I don't think you could 3d print them. I have a large number (hundreds) of caddies in bits (when you take the drive out there are a *lot* of separate pieces which all come apart) from a HGST VSP system, that are currently in the data centre awaiting disposal. The are located in the UK but I could stick an eBay listing up
plz, share a link when you put it on ebay

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
I brought 60 of them home yesterday from the data centre and have put a listing up for them on eBay. That was as many as I could carry to the car in a single trip :) There are hundreds more waiting to be disposed of so if they sell I can list more. Still trying to work out how to get eBay to offer price breaks if you order multiple caddies, so I would recommend holding off if you want lots of them till I get that sorted. I would also recommend if you are not sure they will work in your 40U60 drive enclosure buying one for testing purposes.

As you can see from the picture when you take the drive out they basically come apart in to lots of separate pieces, and 3D printing them is IMHO a none starter.

JonEhh9571

Apr 19, 2022
@jabuzzard can you take pictures of the front of the caddy. Do they have some type of model number etc on them? I am in the USA so shipping from you to me would be annoying. You have 60 caddy's that are not in ton of pieces?

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
I will add a picture of the front tomorrow. I have hundreds of the caddies. Sixty is just the number I took home in the first instance. They are all however in bits, because the moment you take the hard drive out they come to pieces like that. Basically the screws that go into the hard drive hold it all together.

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
I have added a picture of the front of a caddy to the listing. However I have removed the serial number of the drive from the image. I am sure we could work something out for postage if anyone wants large quantity of the caddies. For the record 60 caddies come in at just under 12kg. Frankly as long as I am not out of pocket I am happy to see them go to good use. I will repeat however the caddies can only be delivered in a ton of pieces because they are only held together by being screwed into a hard drive. The only way to provide them in one piece would be to include a hard drive. So unless you want them with 4TB SAS hard drives (which for the record I have access to at least a couple hundred) they can only come in bits.

This ebay listing has pictures of the caddy with a drive in it. It is however nothing to do with me.