where can i buy a sata dom aka disk on module?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
ok so im currently building a supermicro dual socket 2011 server. and i have run into a slight problem my 750 watt gold rated seasonic psu only has enough power connectors for 16 desktop sata hard drives, i emailed seasonic and this is what they told me. (Thank you for contacting Seasonic Our SATA cables can handle up to 4 HDD's. Their rating is 1.5A for each connector. ) and i have 16 platter drives that are going into my server, my case is a fractal define 7XL so the issue i have is since im using 16 platter drives for my server i dont have a spare power connector for my SSD which would hold my os, so i thought maybe a sata dom would be the way to go since my motherboard has the proper power connector for it but aside from ebay i have no idea where to find one for a reasonable price sorry ebay not paying 250$ for a 128 gig sata dom lol i need something to install my windows server 2011 os on if you have any suggestions outside of me using a sata dom drop them below

i have included some pics of the psu and its connectors you can see below the psu has 4 plug sockets for either sata or molex connectors i have all 4 plugs used up for sata cables thanks for your time

for thoes who might ask or wonder i cant afford a 300$+ titanium rated psu which is the only psu that has enough plugs seasonics gold and platinum rated psus only come with 4 plugs on the psu there titanium rated psu come with 6 and i cant afford another psu atm

Attachments

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
power draw for a normal 2.5" sata ssd is trivially low - just use a sata power splitter to get one extra sata power connector, the additional current draw will be almost non-existent

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
@jdnz but if my connectors only supply at max 1.5 amps per sata power connector wont say an 8TB 7200rpm platter disk drive plus say a 2TB 2.5 inch ssd overload the power connector or power cable especially if i hav e 4 7200 rpm 8TB drives on the same cable? since my psu cables support 4 drives per cable

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
most sata ssd's only use the 5v rail - wheras a spinning rust drive has all the heavy load is on the 12v rail. A typical sata ssd is pulling 30-40mW ( so that's 6-7mA load on the 5V rail ) - you'll be fine

Also the per connector rating doesn't tell you much - you need to know power supply 12V rating as with 8 drives you can easily be pulling 12-16A on the 12V rail when all 8 drives spin up at once - there's a reason backplanes have options for staggered spin up and server power supplys have BIG 12V capacities

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@jdnz look at these pics also the drives will be set up in bios so that not all drives spin up at once View attachment 26141
You will be fine with your PSU.

IME satadoms (superdoms may be preferred for you depending on motherboard) are typically used for boot and (mostly) forget OS's. Hyps, NAS OS etc. If you have orange SATA plugs then superdoms are handy as no additional power cabling is required. You'll see these on the x10 + boards. White sockets on the X9 boards have power connectors near them but you'll need the correct cables to power from the motherboard. Also Innodisk makes superdom compat satadoms. Look for MLC sata/super doms.

What OS exactly are you planning to run? 128GB is a LOT for typical use case boot device. 32 and 64GB sata/superdoms can be found for 7-30USD - YMMV.

Aluminat

Jul 5, 2019
If you have orange SATA plugs then superdoms are handy as no additional power cabling is required. You'll see these on the x10 + boards.
I still have no idea how to power SATA DOM on SM X10+ board with out power cable.

I'm using Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3ME4 on X10DRL-i.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@itronin win server 2022 is my preferred os
so uh - you want raid for your boot server? windows can get pretty disk happy, and the OS likes to scribble and default file locations etc. I can totally see why you'd want 128GB. If this is a high uptime server, and you have the pcie slot available (x8 phys or open-ended at least x8 data) I'd consider a SAS 3 IR mode card for Hardware Raid 1and a couple of GOOD medium endurance enterprise grade SSD's. You'll need space to mount a pair of (up to 15mm) SSDs and a path to run cable. really recommend you give that a thought. I say SAS 3 for driver support (like LSI 3008).

Are you using storage spaces and some kind of data protection for all these other spinners you are adding?

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
@itronin the server will only be used for backups and will only be powered on when i need to do said backup once said backup is finished the server will power off im just more familiar with windows server os is why i wanna use it as for a sas card i have a dell perc H700 with a 512 meg cache ima use and yes i will use windows storage spaces

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I still have no idea how to power SATA DOM on SM X10+ board with out power cable.

I'm using Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3ME4 on X10DRL-i.
sorry, but no bueno on that part number for what I'm describing.

Just a second - let me locate magic part numbers and a pointer for you to read...

in the meantime, carefully at your board inside the area of the red elipse - at each narrow side of the orange sata connectors are two metal contacts - pwr and ground :
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 7.37.55 PM.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've posted this linky before in another thread describing pin 8 power.

here's a couple of parts:

Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3IE3 V2

SSD-DM032

SSD-DM064

before buying anything do your research on the specific part number in the listing, look at the pictures and make sure you can see pin 8 power.

Also STH has done at least a few reviews on satadoms and its worth looking in their article archive.

all that said - WOW! @#$@#$ C-19 and stuff - I'm not seeing any low cost pin 8 super or satadoms on the bay at the moment, though there's a used 256GB for $75USD. I can tell you I picked up some 64GB < 50 not too long ago and I scored a bunch of 32GB for ~7 each and sold 'em here last year or the year before - can't remember for sure.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@itronin the server will only be used for backups and will only be powered on when i need to do said backup once said backup is finished the server will power off im just more familiar with windows server os is why i wanna use it as for a sas card i have a dell perc H700 with a 512 meg cache ima use and yes i will use windows storage spaces
oh! get yourself a couple of quality tank like MLC SAS2 SSD's like 400GB HGST blah-blah's or so and run 'em in a R1 HW mirror - they should run just peachy and be bootable. Heck you may even find some with DELL firmware on 'em too. You have to find a place to mount them. If you are going direct from the PERC and are using all 8 lanes for spinners maybe consider an expander?

Reactions: kaitlin4599