Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 3, 2023
My guess is that the EC48 rather than RC48 indicates unbuffered, and you will be fine with that in the W680. I don't think the W680 can tolerate RDIMMS.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I believe the Micron memory without the "R" is not in stock anymore. I have placed a backorder for it on DirectDial a few months ago but it was still listed as backordered two months later. The other model with the "R" was in stock at that time.

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
The Supermicro-certified Micron and Hynix memory modules have dropped to $167.50 on WiredZone.com. However, I'm not sure about the availability of the Hynix, because despite being listed as "manufacturer drop ship" on WiredZone, it is out of stock on Supermicro's own store.

Last edited:
Reactions: James C. Owens
Jan 3, 2023
That is consistent with my experience. I first tried to get the Hynix modules, and they were on "drop ship" status. Nothing ever happened. I ordered the Micron parts instead, and then when they arrived canceled the Hynix order.

Reactions: BigBullion

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
I ordered the the 32GB Hynix HMCG88MEBEA DIMMs from Wiredzone on Jan 1st (SuperMicro site showed Out of Stock at the time I believe) and they arrived yesterday drop shipped from SuperMicro. Waiting on the Asus W680 IPMI board now from B&H that I ordered a couple weeks back.

Reactions: BigBullion

Leondre

Apr 3, 2017
I ordered the 32gb hynix udimms on Monday via wiredzone and they have already shipped from supermicro. Also still waiting on the asus w680 from b&h, no word on it at all yet.

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
FYI, I have checked a few Gigabyte AM5 motherboards, and Gigabyte did list "Add ECC DIMM support" in a BIOS update.

gigabyte1.PNG

Gigabyte also did list some ECC Micron modules in their AM5 QVL. However, these specific modules seem to be out of production.

gigabyte2.PNG

Also, someone was able to get ECC able to work on an ASRock board after a AGESA update:

With 1.0.0.4:

C:\Windows\System32>wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection
MemoryErrorCorrection

Before with 1.0.0.3, it was 3, despite the RAM detecting as 72 bit.

This is on ASRock Taichi x670e 1.14 AS06 BIOS.

This is Micron UDIMM ECC.

Yay ECC.

On 1.0.0.3, setting ECC in the BIOS to "enabled" failed to boot and required a "flashback" of the bios. So on 1.0.0.4 I'm just leaving it on "auto", which seems to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiKenun
Sep 10, 2019
Can someone please help me find a EU dealer that has the MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R in stock ? There is nothing on geizhalz.de except polish dealer claiming stock but charges 300 euro per module plus shipping . If I buy from wired zone in US they want 140 USD just for the shipping and then inpay 25 % VAT and customs plus customs fee.... in my 20 plus years of building computers I never had more difficulties getting a component than this.. its not listed anymore either at any dealer in Scandinavia either. Is it EOL by Micron or something? This is getting ridiculous

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
I just got an update on my order from B&H that the Asus Pro WS 680-ACE IPMI order was placed with the manufacturer and should be drop shipping to me in the next 7-14 days.

Reactions: rootshell

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
Asus W680 IPMI board showed up today. Can confirm compatibility with 4 x 32GB Hynix HMCG88MEBEA DDR5 DIMMs that were ordered from WiredZone. Installed TrueNAS and it is showing ECC is enabled. Had some issues with booting into TrueNAS originally with the IPMI card plugged in, so I unplugged it and will figure that out later.

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
Scale or Core? I'm planning Scale myself - same MB and RAM.
TrueNas Scale with an i9-13900k. Using an Anidees 12-bay Full Tower with 4 of the iStar 5 drive hot swap bays for a total of 20 drives. Outgrowing my Synologys and didn't want to go with rackmount since I don't have a good place for a rack.

Reactions: oncdoc

oncdoc

Jan 24, 2023
TrueNas Scale with an i9-13900k. Using an Anidees 12-bay Full Tower with 4 of the iStar 5 drive hot swap bays for a total of 20 drives. Outgrowing my Synologys and didn't want to go with rackmount since I don't have a good place for a rack.
With that CPU and that many hard drives, what is the approximate energy consumption you think? Not judging just asking.