Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Any reason this wouldn’t work in a X13SAE-F?
not tested by supermicro, anything can happen. i..e: i got the very first DDR4 GSkill NT series 2133Mt sticks with first Gigabyte Z170 motherboard I5-6500. the memory did'nt work unless frq. manualy adjusted to 2000Mt in the BIOS(slower timings might have helped too). later with better BIOS JEDEC support anything was fine.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
not tested by supermicro, anything can happen. i..e: i got the very first DDR4 GSkill NT series 2133Mt sticks with first Gigabyte Z170 motherboard I5-6500. the memory did'nt work unless frq. manualy adjusted to 2000Mt in the BIOS(slower timings might have helped too). later with better BIOS JEDEC support anything was fine.
Do you know what ECC memory is on their QVL? The SM part number doesn’t seem to be available anywhere.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Do you know what ECC memory is on their QVL?
you can see it yourself.
all JEDEC UDIMM ECC will work, on some compatibility problems supermicro will update BIOS soon(if reported to SM)
in the meantime you can lower the frq./latency to get it to work(only if needed - again ! not expected)

notegone

Oct 31, 2022
I saw that post on /r/Amd/ earlier and so I emailed ASUS about their ECC, they said:
> Could you please tell me if ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME was tested to detect and correct ECC errors, and whether there are any ECC DDR5 UDIMMs pending inclusion in the QVL?

AM5 X670 series platform motherboard doesn't support the Side band ECC now, AMD will release new Agesa code to support Side band ECC. Please wait, we will update when AMD new Agesa code is ready. This board is Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR5 Memory supports On-Die ECC function.

Reactions: BigBullion

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
No - that site is pretty cool - like *amazing* - talk about the "deep web" in action [ie useful AF databases]... I only played with it a bit but the filters are relevant/useful...

If there's an equivalent on our side of the pond I'm not familiar with it... I remember seeing pcpartpicker.com results coming up in google - apparently that site is similar albeit specific to pc parts [in the name]...

It seems to not be working for me atm so I can't speak to how well it works /sigh...

The good [and bad] is that these [those?] sites are great indexes of *existing* products [ie listed for sale on one of their monitored sites]...

What I would love, however, is a site with the same search functionality as giezhals but for announced/existing parts - links to manufacturers product page - even before the products show up on curated websites. The reason being that some sites don't allow their sites to be crawled by search engines but are capable of having the parts listed on their sites and/or of obtaining said parts with a part #...

Searching by part # is great - but finding out *which* part #'s to search for in the first place is the real challenge - especially for newer/upcoming tech.

But *somehow* RolloZ170 managed to find a few parts - which I'm sure has helped many who've found this thread - OP obviously being one of them I would think :)

I imagine tagging/indexing such a site would be quite the undertaking but what a relevant resource that would be!

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on geizhals - it's always nice to learn something new :)
I've been using Geizhals myself for some years. It's truly great in terms of filtering capabilities, especially because it's actually respecting the hard constraints on your search and doesn't waste your brain cycles with false positives, like Amazon or the generic search engines...

Of course, it can only find what's available and that has been a true worry for the last couple of weeks, as I've been trying to find something to upgrade a Xeon E3-1276 v3 (Haswell quad core): I really wanted a Raptor Lake octa in combination with DDR4-3200 ECC DRAM, but of the two W680 based mainboard theoretically available, none could ever be bought. SuperMicro constantly teased easy availability for a DDR5 based board, but what good was that when DDR5-ECC DIMMs could not be found?

I was close to giving in to using ordinary DDR5 without 'real' ECC, but that's when DDR5 ECC actually popped up on Geizhals, only to show another 2x price premium over 'plain' DDR5, while only base DDR5-4800 base speed is available at all: clearly DDR5 is doubly outrageous with ECC!

Any attempt to configure a Zen 4 with 64-128GB of ECC RAM, a 10Gbit NIC (or a PCIe x4 slot to hold the one I already have), quickly got me demotivated with both mainboard and RAM easily eclipsing even the 7950X.

So in the end I took the 5800X3D dropping to €350 as a hint and settled on that with a X570S board that offers pretty much the generational uplift I was going for, without breaking the bank or compromising on connectivity. The Xeon is running Windows Server and various VMs with a lot of storage, both a HDD RAID6 for media storage and a SATA-SSD JBOD as Steam cache, while it also doubles as terminal and Steam remote gaming server, so the extra 64MB cache of the 3D may not be entirely wasted.

I need two 8x PCIe slots for GPU and SmartRAID and also sufficient PCIe bandwidth for the 10Gbit NIC. ACQ113 PCIe 4.0 x1 adapters evidently aren't sold by anyone, so the older ACQ107 requiring 4 lanes will need to get them. It currently uses all 6 SATA ports, 4 for the Steam cache, 1 for a caddy-less quick swap boot SSD (could go NVMe, but without quick swap), while the last port is used for a removable 18TB backup HDD.

AMD used to deliver 8 SATA ports on pre-Zen APUs, it's still 6 on X570, but X6xx skimps on SATA and seems quite nonsensical in many other ways, too. E.g. I have plenty of useful Thunderbolt peripherals, but nothing that benefits from 10 or 20Gbit USB...

---

I was a bit disconcerted that geizhals.eu won't switch to English, even if that's set as the browser preferred content language, nor was there any language choice button that I could find for all those who do not understand my sweet mother tongue.

But it turns out they run a UK site under this alias: Skinflint Price Comparison UK, which should help you check for the availabilty of parts and their various international part numbers: with those you might turn lucky locating parts even outside Europe.

Somewhat unfortunately geizhals/skinflint links language choice to geography so skinflint will only return UK offers--unless you then widen the search by explicitly allowing results from 'all regions'--which is still limited to the countries directly supported...

The advantage of its approach is that it truly reflects availability, backed by concrete offers. Obviously it can be out-of-date by a day, or two on week-ends, and some rogue merchants creep in occasionally. And while it doesn't include US offers, it does help separating facts from fiction in terms of products announced vs. true availability in retail: did I mention you have a full price history up to a year?

It did show me a W680 DDR4 board from Gigabyte for a day, only to faithfully tell me it was no longer available when two days later I resolved to buy it (after confirming Raptor Lake support via Gigabyte's support team)...

No, they are not paying me to advertise their service, but it has become a rather essential tool in my general market research. So I reckon I at least owe them a bit of praise!

Reactions: RolloZ170

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013

prices still pretty high but supposedly the eBay one is in stock

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013

prices still pretty high but supposedly the eBay one is in stock
Wired Zone is showing in stock and $211 so I picked up 2x 32GB, will try in both Asrock and Supermicro W680 boards. Wish me luck!

LiKenun

Nov 13, 2022
DirectDial.com has 32GB ECC UDIMM in stock for $202.
I just got it last week for my ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME and AMD Ryzen 9 7950X build. Unfortunately the system does not boot with the RAM installed in any configuration (slot A2, slot B2, slot A2 + B2, all of the slots). It gets stuck on Q-Code 99 (Super IO initialization) with the status message “memory test” which some have remarked to be a misnomer.

Waiting for a non-ECC kit to be delivered so I can confirm.

I had to update the BIOS from 1.03 to 1.09 for it to POST with the new RAM.

Edit: added BIOS note
Perhaps this might fix my situation if I can get the non-ECC (but QVL-validated) RAM to boot the system to a state where I can install a BIOS update.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Perhaps this might fix my situation if I can get the non-ECC (but QVL-validated) RAM to boot the system to a state where I can install a BIOS update.
A Newegg reviewer also mentioned that he was unable to get an ASUS B650 board to boot with ECC RAM and updating the BIOS fixed it.

I got a second ASUS motherboard with the Q-LED feature since this one's Q-LED Core didn't work. It also failed to post, but signaled a RAM error. Tech support couldn't help me, but I discovered that updating the bios fixed the it not posting with ECC ram: I suspect the same fix would have fixed this board.

Reactions: LiKenun

LiKenun

Nov 13, 2022
The ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME motherboard supports BIOS FlashBack which means you can update the BIOS without any CPU and RAM installed.
Genius! You saved my peach.

After BIOS flash with the latest beta, I was able to get the display to show something. Currently doing an fTPM reset at the suggestion of the computer.

Reactions: RolloZ170

LiKenun

Nov 13, 2022
Well, looks like I’m the first casualty of ASUS’ misinformation. Even though the motherboard’s official webpage and manual states that both ECC and non-ECC memory are supported, I installed four of the KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM (32 GiB DDR5 ECC UDIMM running at 4800MT/s) but Windows 11’s wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection command returns code 3, meaning no parity whatsoever. I did not find ECC-related options in the motherboard BIOS either. Perhaps it’s a BIOS update away from being supported, but I’m not holding my breath.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
There was a post in another forum suggesting that it is an "issue" and the issue is on AMD's side with their implementation of ECC... Current AGESA version is 1003 but they said they will fix it in version 1004 or 1005.

For anyone curious, I have been trying to get ECC to work on ASUS's and ASRock's ITX boards to no avail. However, I have managed to reach out to an AMD engineer, who has confirmed that the issue is on their end, and they are targeting a fix to release in AGESA 1004/1005. No ETA on when they will be available, but at least we know it is an AMD problem/
Currently I cannot find any ECC memory in any AM5 motherboard's QVL lists. No ECC memory in their QVL lists might be a deal breaker.

I am currently having issues with non-QVL ECC memory even with an Intel W480 motherboard that was advertised to support ECC (Gigabyte W480m Vision W). Tested two different brands of memory with Memtest86 and it outputs errors. This is with the latest BIOS. I even took extra care like using an antistatic mat and antistatic wrist strap when installing both brands of memory. (I did not use the actual QVL ECC memory because it is out of production, slower and twice as expensive as the non-QVL ECC memory. That board has only had three ECC memory in their QVL list out of the hundreds of non-ECC memory.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDragon44

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Finally got some. Will hopefully be testing with a W680 board tonight. Let me know if there is anything specific you’d like to see.

B7F72AEE-7AE0-4231-B01C-1D257579A350.jpeg

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
X13SAE booted right up with the new memory. Updated BIOS and running MemTest. Next will be to swap in the 13900K.

Any suggestions on verifying ECC is actually active?

C8259271-15A5-4E8F-B5C7-C7922DC07199.jpeg

chenxiaolong

Nov 16, 2020
I just got mine as well (Hynix HMCG88MEBEA from WiredZone, which ended up being a SuperMicro branded stick). My X13SAE-F booted fine with the new modules and `dmidecode -t memory` shows:

Code:
Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
though the information for each stick says:

Code:
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
I would've expected 72 and 64. I don't see any options related to ECC in the BIOS. Maybe the upcoming 2.0 update will include that.