Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thebluehue

Oct 7, 2021
I am keenly waiting on Zen 4 to be launched to build some workstations. W680 platform with DDR5 ECC UDIMM support has launched as well. What is extremely disappointing is the complete lack of DDR5 ECC UDIMMs. There have been several paper launches, but nothing that I can actually buy. To complicate things further, many websites confuse on-die ECC with "real" ECC. Case in point: Dell Memory Upgrade - 16GB - 1RX8 DDR5 UDIMM 4800MHz ECC | Dell USA. This RAM is on-die ECC only.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy DDR5 ECC UDIMMs with "real" ECC? Or when we may get availability?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
export documents proof that samsung & hynix UDIMM ECC is exported from south korea to india last weeks.
if you pre-order some RAM(current prices) at your favorite dealer you will have the RAM soon.
in the current situation no dealer will build stock of this RAM because the price will drop like the standard DDR5.
my dealer reports avail. of some dell RAM in week 32 of 2022.

Reactions: Stephan

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Any links to any online dealers with DDR5 ECC RAM listed for pre-ordering?

All I can find is manufacturers Web sites with product marketing info & specs, yet not a single retailer even has those products listed for purchase... let alone pre-orderable. DDR5 ECC seems to still be vaporware. Not sure why people think Raptor Lake release is going to change anything on the ECC RAM front.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Any links to any online dealers with DDR5 ECC RAM listed for pre-ordering?
search for:
M324R4GA3BB0-CQK (Samsung 32GB)
HMCG88MEBEA084N (Hynix 32GB) (supermicro MEM-DR532MD-EU48)
(Precision Workstation 3660XE Tower supports DDR5 nonECC & DDR5 ECC))
Dell AC027076 ( SNPP0YCGC/32G )
Dell AC027075 ( SNPG00XJC/16G )
M5CV-BGM2MC0P (Innodisk 32GB)
MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R (Micron 32GB)
MTC10C1084S1EC48BA1R (Micron 16GB)

KSM48E40BS8KM-16HM (Kingston 16GB)
KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM (Kingston 32GB)

Last edited:

thebluehue

Oct 7, 2021
search for:
M324R4GA3BB0-CQK (Samsung 32GB)
HMCG88MEBEA084N (Hynix 32GB)
(Precision Workstation 3660XE Tower supports DDR5 nonECC & DDR5 ECC))
Dell AC027076 ( SNPP0YCGC/32G )
Dell AC027075 ( SNPG00XJC/16G )
M5CV-BGM2MC0P (Innodisk 32GB)
MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R (Micron 32GB)
MTC10C1084S1EC48BA1R (Micron 16GB)
Thanks, that is very useful. I will start contacting distributors/retailers and see if I can get these in Canada.

introspection

Sep 29, 2022
Hi there,

First - I'm so happy thebluehue started up this thread [and *especially* thankful that RolloZ170 dropped a list of part #'s to search for].

Trying to search for ECC memory in general sucks - whether on google or amazon [or *most* sites] because all the non-ecc results come up, too /sigh...

As a fellow Canadian, and for anyone tripping across this thread in their search I found that the website called pccanada.com (it used to have a brick and mortar store front on College Street in Toronto iirc) and not to be confused with pc-canada.com (which is the Canadian counterpart to DirectDial.com) has the MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R [Micron 32GB 2x8 DDR5 ECC UDIMM] currently listed for $268 CAD.

They also have free shipping for anything over $500 CAD [ie 2 sticks = free shipping @ current prices].

I'm writing this in October 2022, so I'm sure those prices will age like milk /sigh...

The caveat is that as of this writing they show none in stock, but it looks like they can be ordered, at least?

PC-Canada.com *and* DirectDial.com also seem to carry [or can order] said memory, but they currently pop on the first page in a google search (at least when looking up 'MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R' so I'll leave the links for those to google - lol :p

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hi there,

First - I'm so happy thebluehue started up this thread [and *especially* thankful that RolloZ170 dropped a list of part #'s to search for].

Trying to search for ECC memory in general sucks - whether on google or amazon [or *most* sites] because all the non-ecc results come up, too /sigh...

As a fellow Canadian, and for anyone tripping across this thread in their search I found that the website called pccanada.com (it used to have a brick and mortar store front on College Street in Toronto iirc) and not to be confused with pc-canada.com (which is the Canadian counterpart to DirectDial.com) has the MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R [Micron 32GB 2x8 DDR5 ECC UDIMM] currently listed for $268 CAD.

They also have free shipping for anything over $500 CAD [ie 2 sticks = free shipping @ current prices].

I'm writing this in October 2022, so I'm sure those prices will age like milk /sigh...

The caveat is that as of this writing they show none in stock, but it looks like they can be ordered, at least?

PC-Canada.com *and* DirectDial.com also seem to carry [or can order] said memory, but they currently pop on the first page in a google search (at least when looking up 'MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R' so I'll leave the links for those to google - lol :p
Yup :(

Searching by part number is partial is the best way I've found to actually find the RAM I'm looking for... on eBay or anywhere.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I use geizhals for finding part numbers (and shops selling these parts):

There is really no service like geizhals in the us? It's awesome for comparing prices, finding spec/data sheets and part numbers, price history and a lot more

Reactions: Aluminat

introspection

Sep 29, 2022
I use geizhals for finding part numbers (and shops selling these parts):

There is really no service like geizhals in the us? It's awesome for comparing prices, finding spec/data sheets and part numbers, price history and a lot more
No - that site is pretty cool - like *amazing* - talk about the "deep web" in action [ie useful AF databases]... I only played with it a bit but the filters are relevant/useful...

If there's an equivalent on our side of the pond I'm not familiar with it... I remember seeing pcpartpicker.com results coming up in google - apparently that site is similar albeit specific to pc parts [in the name]...

It seems to not be working for me atm so I can't speak to how well it works /sigh...

The good [and bad] is that these [those?] sites are great indexes of *existing* products [ie listed for sale on one of their monitored sites]...

What I would love, however, is a site with the same search functionality as giezhals but for announced/existing parts - links to manufacturers product page - even before the products show up on curated websites. The reason being that some sites don't allow their sites to be crawled by search engines but are capable of having the parts listed on their sites and/or of obtaining said parts with a part #...

Searching by part # is great - but finding out *which* part #'s to search for in the first place is the real challenge - especially for newer/upcoming tech.

But *somehow* RolloZ170 managed to find a few parts - which I'm sure has helped many who've found this thread - OP obviously being one of them I would think :)

I imagine tagging/indexing such a site would be quite the undertaking but what a relevant resource that would be!

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on geizhals - it's always nice to learn something new :)

Reactions: RolloZ170

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
DirectDial.com has 32GB ECC UDIMM in stock for $202.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
That being said, there is no consumer-grade AM5 motherboard currently available that is advertised to support ECC memory or has ECC memory on their QVL.

I have checked ASRock's and Gigabyte's AM5 consumer boards and they did not mention ECC memory anywhere, not even in their technical specs. On the other hand, some ASUS boards did make a mention of ECC memory on their technical specs: that ECC is "supported", but still, it does not mean that it actually detects and corrects any errors, not to mention their QVL does not list any ECC memory either.

I have also checked prosumer boards including ASRock's CREATOR, Gigabyte's AERO and ASUS' ProArt series but they did not mention ECC memory anywhere or list them on their QVL.

For ECC on AM5, it might be better to wait for a workstation or a server board...

Last edited:

introspection

Sep 29, 2022
Hey!

Just an FYI re: consumer grade AM5 Motherboards... Wendell @ Level 1 Techs [well - Level1Linux in this case], actually says that the *ASRock* boards he tested [Taichi and Steel Legend] *do* support ECC [he mentioned testing the error correction is working as well].

-> YouTube Link Here <-

Also - On ASRock's website the specs do *not* mention ECC memory for *either* of those boards but the *manual* does @ this link (on page 2 under 1.2 Specifications -> Memory...

I've ordered the Taichi from Newegg and have put in an order for 2 32GB sticks of Micron [MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R] based on this information.

The motherboard is en route but I won't have a delivery date on the ECC UDIMM's until Tuesday - but since it's coming from the factory [vs the reseller] it'll probably be another week or three before I get it.

I'll happily update with my findings once I have any.

Insofar as waiting for a workstation or server board... while I imagine a server board would be RDIMM's and SP5 server socket, I would *love* to see a workstation board ala the X570D4U-2L2T but who knows when such a board for AM5 will be available?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just an FYI re: consumer grade AM5 Motherboards... Wendell @ Level 1 Techs [well - Level1Linux in this case], actually says that the *ASRock* boards he tested [Taichi and Steel Legend] *do* support ECC [he mentioned testing the error correction is working as well].
will not a surprise for me. asrock used to design its mainboards with full wiring, e.g. the x99 desktop series usualy suported xeon with ECC(incl.RDIMM)

Reactions: Bert

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Well, I remember looking specifically at the ASRock Steel Legend motherboard on their website at an earlier date (since I did watch the same level1techs video too), and they did in fact listed ECC memory as "supported" but they have removed ECC support from their specs at a later date. I was concerned that something may have changed in their motherboard or BIOS after they have removed ECC support from their specs at their website... Gigabyte has done the same thing to their AM5 boards on their website. I am wary of stuff like this but that's just me (along with no warranty if something goes wrong with the ECC memory since there is no official support).

Last edited:

pedrocr

Oct 16, 2022
Well, I remember looking specifically at the ASRock Steel Legend motherboard on their website at an earlier date (since I did watch the same level1techs video too), and they did in fact listed ECC memory as "supported" but they have removed ECC support from their specs at a later date.
I was surprised by your initial comment exactly because of this. I had seen it on their websites and went back to check and sure enough it was gone.

Since then I've been looking at ASUS boards. ASUS still has ECC up on their tech specs online and I've also seem to have found a Unicorn. An inexpensive, ECC capable B650 motherboard with 8 SATA ports:

I'm planning a NAS upgrade and was considering doing either AM4 or waiting for next year for AM5 but it may end up being sooner if this board and ECC DDR5 UDIMMs become available around here.

nmr

Oct 20, 2022
Just got my DirectDial order this morning, ASRock X670E PG Lightning appears to work

dmidecode:

```
Handle 0x0037, DMI type 18, 23 bytes
32-bit Memory Error Information
Type: OK
Granularity: Unknown
Operation: Unknown
Vendor Syndrome: Unknown
Memory Array Address: Unknown
Device Address: Unknown
Resolution: Unknown

Handle 0x0038, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x002E
Error Information Handle: 0x0037
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 32 GB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM 1
Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL B
Type: DDR5
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 4800 MT/s
Manufacturer: Kingston
Serial Number: 2F34DC3A
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: 9965794-016.A00G
Configured Memory Speed: 4800 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Unknown
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 2, Hex 0x98
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 32 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None

```

inxi -m -xxx

```
Memory:
RAM: total: 61.93 GiB used: 3.82 GiB (6.2%)
Array-1: capacity: 128 GiB slots: 4 EC: None max-module-size: 32 GiB
note: est.
Device-1: DIMM 0 type: no module installed
Device-2: DIMM 1 type: DDR5 detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered)
size: 32 GiB speed: 4800 MT/s volts: 1.1 width (bits): data: 64 total: 72
manufacturer: Kingston part-no: 9965794-016.A00G serial: 4234E8F0
Device-3: DIMM 0 type: no module installed
Device-4: DIMM 1 type: DDR5 detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered)
size: 32 GiB speed: 4800 MT/s volts: 1.1 width (bits): data: 64 total: 72
manufacturer: Kingston part-no: 9965794-016.A00G serial: 2F34DC3A
```

Thanks for the link, couldn't find it anywhere else.

I had to update the BIOS from 1.03 to 1.09 for it to POST with the new RAM.

Edit: added BIOS note

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I have contacted ASRock about their discrepancy for ECC memory between their specs on their web page and specs in their PDF manual.

They have responded with this:

Thank you for choosing ASRock and contacting us.

B650 Pro RS and other AM5 models do not support DDR5 ECC memory currently.
So it seems to be likely that they did not update their manuals.

I cannot find any way to contact Asus...

I have also checked the memory QVL of ASRock, Asus and Gigabyte boards and they all list some ECC memory in their AM4 QVLs but none in their AM5 QVLs.

Discrepancies exist all over the place. Newegg for example still mentions that ECC memory is supported for AM5 ASRock boards. Newegg also mentions that some ASUS AM5 boards do not support ECC memory even though on their spec page and manual it mentions that they do.

Even for AM4, discrepancies are all over the place. The Crucial Memory Advisory Tool and Kingston Memory Finder do not have all compatible memory models for a motherboard in their database, despite being in the motherboard manufacturer's QVL. This includes missing compatible ECC memory from both Intel and AMD workstation boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: vkfu

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
DirectDial.com has 32GB ECC UDIMM in stock for $202.
Any reason this wouldn’t work in a X13SAE-F?