When you image a partition with dd

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I won't disagree about Google!
I suggest hitting the Mint forums directly and entering your search term in the search bar there ...
Better still ... Use Google Search BUT type, for example:
dd progress bar site:forums.linuxmint.com
Google search is superb at fuzzy matching (misspellings, synonyms, context-sensitive interpretations, etc.) and site: will focus that effort.
[BTW, I've got one of my keyboard macros defined as " site:servethehome.com" -- I just typed " & G3-key & " :) ]

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've been increasingly using DDG recently, but even Google has no issues looking up manuals for SM boards or other server parts: x11sra-f manual filetype:pdf .

For Linux CLI: good old man (or Linux man pages or man7.org). I find the SNR to be a bit low on the Ubuntu forums; sometimes a bit of the blind leading the blind. ArchWiki is fantastic, even if not using Arch.

I empathise that SMD chips can be hard to look up due to non-specific part numbering. Digikey, Mouser, et al are helpful but still struggle with this.

For ZFS: TrueNAS forums, ZoL mailing list, or even posts right here by @ gea and other ZFS wizards.
Supermicro has a single page for each of their motherboards. Most of the time the info I'm looking for is on that page. It also contains links to the manual, drivers, bios and ipmi firmware. Sure, the info is in the manuals but it's a helluva lot quicker and easier to get it from Supermicro's page.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
You only use dd incorrectly once, lol!

That said, it's still my preferred tool for cloning windows/linux installs in both physical and VM.

dd over netcat is a thing of beauty on 10gige.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I won't disagree about Google! Especially when searching products, which in the last few months has gotten almost as bad as Amazon. You have to page through a bunch of ad supported/algorithm selected non-applicable, stuff to find the first hit that includes what you want.
Using an ad blocker and Google's "verbatim" mode helps a lot. You can switch to it from the results page, or add "&tbs=li:1" to your search URL. I do this by configuring a custom search engine in my browser, and add to the base Google search.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
dd has it's uses but you can also mess up the destination drive if not careful or don't know what you are doing.

I recommend using clonezilla, can be used from within your current install to clone other drives but the one your system is running on or you can use a bootable image on a USB stick.