When will SuperMicro / AsRock Rack have Epyc 3000 (Snowy owl?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Still no sign of these, nearly 3 months after launch, not even a murmour.

Also, AsRock has only 2 Intel Atom C3xxx Denverton boards sadly, not much variety.
Painful.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
About to be a expected though :-/

At launch the AMD SoC didn’t have many backers like the socketed chips, would also be interesting f to see how they perform, maybe they are not super great for purpose ? Having multiple NUMA nodes on such a small system is kind of strange and maybe it’s hurting the expected use case. Or could simply be people opting for the ‘safe’ long term intel solutions.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Well I'm specifically weighing up against the c3000 Intel denverton atoms.

I believe them to be more expensive but more powerful, I'd imagine an 8 core snowy owl may compete with the 16 core Intel's

Dying for benchmarks, coild be a great FreeNAS option

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Probably pretty much on the mark about the cores being double a denverton core, to me the killer thing could be the low price... but that’s really an unknown !

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Having multiple NUMA nodes on such a small system is kind of strange and maybe it’s hurting the expected use case. Or could simply be people opting for the ‘safe’ long term intel solutions.
EPYC Embedded includes models that are both single die like Socket AM4 Ryzen, and double die like ThreadRipper. Check here, you can easily figure out which is which. You still have two CCXs.

As some anecdotal experience, I have recently been requested to build some low end computers, and to be honest, I can't stand AMD low end Motherboards. Zen as a SoC has pretty much all the IO you want to have in a low end computer and even more, why I need to pay for a Chipset or third party controllers when Zen itself can drive almost the entire computer with no help? I seriously want either a single die EPYC Embedded or one of the Embedded Ryzen V1000 series to be used in a consumer product. It has tremendous potential.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ok, 3251 looks nice ;) but ... as the thread is about zero availability... that’s and I don’t need it but that’s a different discussion in my mind.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I recall wanting the 8/8 model, but unfortunately some pricing leaked for 4 models (instead of the initial 2) and I wasn't entirely impressed.

We also have this bug which is frustrating and hopefully fixed
196683 – Random Soft Lockup on new Ryzen build (although apparently not fixed in the brand new Ryzen 2xxx series!?)

None the less, there are workarounds for the bug and the performance / dollar ratio might be nice. But I sit here frustrated that AsRock, SuperMicro are doing a poor enough job making the Denverton ITX boards available to the public (very few actually IN STOCK to be sold out there) let alone this AMD offering.

We shall see. It seems a fantastic homelab option to me.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I just got email confirmation from super micro, that the amd epyc 3000 CPUs are not on their current roadmap. Pretty disappointing, out of asrock, Tyan, supermicro, I figured SM would be the ones to come through.

My response from Tyan.

"We don’t have plan to make Embedded Eypc platform"

Reactions: Jyrki