When will pfsense 2.2-RELEASE happen?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
I built my PFSense box on Thursday and have been using it since. This is my first foray in to using PFSense for a real environment, I've only played with it in Virtual Machines before now.

Overall I'm very impressed. I am using the 2.2 RC as it has the required driver for my motherboards Intel i210-V ethernet chip

I went with an i340-T4 from Intel for LAN use but I found the bridging on PFSense to not be very good it introduced errors. This is likely a 2.2 bug that'll get fixed so I'm not bothered and I have found using a dedicated switch to not only be more affordable, offer twice as many ports but also uses less electricity anyway.

My only disappointment with 2.2 RC right now is that Squid doesn't work and each new snapshot of 2.2 seems to further break Squid3 compatibility requiring more and more modifications to get it functioning. But this isn't PFSense or the Squid3 maintainers fault, it's just what happens with an active development period and I accept that, if I wanted stable I could have rolled my own drivers and used PFsense 2.1 but I wanted to be on the bleeding edge.

I'm using a Pentium G3220, this is a Haswell architecture Dual Core, 3MB Cache 3GHz CPU. It fluctuates in clock speed from 100MHz to 3GHz so it has a very wide range perfect for router use.

I paired that with 16GB of RAM expecting to make heavy use of Squid3 but of course it doesn't work yet. And then I am using an Asrock MATX board the H97M PRO4 which was chosen because of its 1150 socket, four DIMM slots, mATX form factor and Intel LAN.

The performance is very good. I've installed two packages so far, I'm going to wait to install anything else until 2.2 is officially released as there are incompatibilities. The two packages I'm using are BandwithD and ntopng - Both very good and work fine, I'm incredibly impressed by ntopng but that probably is due to it being my first time using it more than anything.

Overall my build including a gold rated modular power supply & case, plus all the other parts I already mentioned including that i340-T4 (sourced from ebay) only set me back about £270. I'm confident if one were to supplement that i340-T4 with a single port Intel NIC instead you could easily build a capable PFSense router for under £200. I repurposed a Hard Drive and the 4x4GB RAM modules from old kit so they don't factor in to my costings.

I'm very much looking forward to the final release of 2.2.

Reactions: MiniKnight

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
BandwithD
They probably fixed it, but BandwidthD was a big issue for me in the beta.

BTW - I looked at the bug tracker yesterday and it was 99% complete with 9 outstanding. I think we are getting very close.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Nice. I am updating mine every weekend or so now. After that I plan to only update on stable releases.
Unless there is something interesting for me for wanting to run Alpha/Beta/RC again.
And since mine is only doing routing and firewall, I doubt I will need too.

Oh, mine does updating of Dynamic DNS too (Duck DNS) because Synology gives errors.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I can confirm that the 2.2RC is much more stable when it comes to IPv6! The issue I mentioned above seems to be resolved (likely because they're using FreeBSD 10 now).
Still stable with IPv6? I just setup a HE.net tunnel on 2.2 last night.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Looked on the bug tracker today. Currently 2.2 has nothing left to be done. Perhaps we'll see the final 2.2 release in a few days time.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looked on the bug tracker today. Currently 2.2 has nothing left to be done. Perhaps we'll see the final 2.2 release in a few days time.
Ya I am really excited.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Still stable with IPv6? I just setup a HE.net tunnel on 2.2 last night.
Yea. I have an HE.net tunnel on 2.2 as well. Seems much more stable on 2.2 than 2.1.x! Can't wait till 2.2 final releases!

(Though: The temptation to roll my own router still exists. I have a semi-tested setup. pfSense is just too easy not to use, lol)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

2.2 development is done. Release expected in 1-2 weeks. They are now working on 2.2.1 (see here.)

Reactions: spazoid

Rain

May 13, 2013
2.2 has been released! :)

Edit: As a followup, I just upgraded my home router without a hitch!

Last edited:

Max Power

Jan 24, 2015
I upgraded from 2.1.5 last night. The only problem I ran into was my one interface was named by IP so it was all numbers. PFsense reported an error and wouldn't allow any gateway traffic through that interface. Luckily a quick google search identified the warning I was getting and I was able to fix it in a few minutes.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
No problems here too, but with my simple setup I didn't expect any anyway.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Yep, upgraded my virtualized pfSense 2.1.5 to 2.2 through the auto updater with no issues. 2.2 seems to boot a fair amount faster too

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
It's always been virtualized for me. I switched from astaro security gateway 2 years ago to pfsense. ASG was also virtualized...

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Yep, upgraded my virtualized pfSense 2.1.5 to 2.2 through the auto updater with no issues. 2.2 seems to boot a fair amount faster too
Same. Upgraded a virtual pfSense 2.1 install (ESXi) using the auto updater, worked great. Definitely feels faster all around (boot/UI).