When to go z3?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foxhunt

Jun 28, 2017
Trying to figure if freenas z2 10x8TB is safe enough or maybe go z3 12x8TB? I've got 10 drives but to maximize the array I can pick-up a few more drives while they are on sale.

There is a lot of information out there and I'm still confused. I'm hoping this is an easy answer for someone. Yes I know raid is not a back up - before someone says it.

I've messing around with the raid reliability calculator.
https://www.servethehome.com/raid-calculator/raid-reliability-calculator-simple-mttdl-model/

I've found information like this.
Start a single-parity RAIDZ (raidz) configuration at 3 disks (2+1)
Start a double-parity RAIDZ (raidz2) configuration at 6 disks (4+2)
Start a triple-parity RAIDZ (raidz3) configuration at 9 disks (6+3)
The recommended number of disks per group is between 3 and 9. If you have more disks, use multiple groups.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
IMHO (tm), if you go with Z2 on 8 or 10 disks, with a regular (weekly) scrub - then Z2 is enough. I do not see a reason to go Z3 ever, unless you have some VERY IMPORTANT DATA to store. I sooner go multiple pools, like 2x8 z2s before going z3. Can you imagine resilvering such array? Just my 2c.

Reactions: foxhunt

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I am still working through my ZFS setup... and I am newb so take that for what it is...

I went with a 9x 10TB RAIDz3 array for my backup. I keep a cold spare because I have not yet found how to spin down a hot spare. Keeping a spinning hot spare still does not make much sense to me since any drive activity becomes wear and tear on the drive.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I would go up to 8 disks in raidz2, if capacity is your requirement, beyond that, another pool of 8 and so on. If performance is your end goal here and not capacity, you'll want to be mirroring instead :)

Also, just a point to note about ZFS in general. It is incredibly robust, even when things go wrong. There is a very good chance of data retrieval, even with a poorly disk or two, providing you don't panic when things go wrong and do something stupid that puts your data at risk :)

Last edited:

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
IMHO (tm), if you go with Z2 on 8 or 10 disks, with a regular (weekly) scrub - then Z2 is enough. I do not see a reason to go Z3 ever, unless you have some VERY IMPORTANT DATA to store. I sooner go multiple pools, like 2x8 z2s before going z3. Can you imagine resilvering such array? Just my 2c.
I agree with this. I've been running two 12 drive Z2's in a Norco 24 drive chassis for 8 years with zero issues. Always kept a cold spare or two around, and only ever replaced 1 drive at a time when it started throwing a lot of errors during a scrub.

Reactions: T_Minus and foxhunt

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I agree with this. I've been running two 12 drive Z2's in a Norco 24 drive chassis for 8 years with zero issues. Always kept a cold spare or two around, and only ever replaced 1 drive at a time when it started throwing a lot of errors during a scrub.
What brand drives are you using?

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
I am on 8TB WD Reds, shucked. 8x8TB with 2 VCS (Very Cold Spares - shelved) on a X10SDV-4C-TLN4F with 64GB of ECC DDR4 in a DS380B.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think it depends on usage, at-least for me.

For instance my "home" storage is RZ2, but the backup of that is 3 drives in triple-mirror.
If I had to backup more data I would use RZ3.

Same is true for work, performance is mirrored vdev, resilient storage is rz2.

Reactions: itronin