When is OpenZFS 2.0 coming to Illumos?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey,

Wondering if anyone knows when ZFS 2.0.x will be in the mainstream pkg repo?

I guess I could always compile it, I've been doing it on Ubuntu for the last few months... would be nice if it involved less work, though ;)

Thanks

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
As I see it

OpenZFS (openzfs.org) is the name of a common roof to keep development on different ZFS platforms in sync. OpenZFS 2.0 is now also the name of a common codebase for ZFS developments.

OpenZFS repo was originally more or less a fork of Illumos minus the parts that are not related to ZFS as a filesystem (ex Solaris SMB server, Comstar etc). Some times ago OpenZFS (ZoL then) took over new features from Illumos.

Due the huge amount of developers on Linux, more and more newer ZFS features are now developped on OpenZFS on Linux first and no longer on Illumos what means that Illumos must take them over (ex encryption last year). The current relation of Open-ZFS 2.0 and Illumos is similar to Illumos vs OmniOS where OmniOS is a fork of Illumos that takes over newer Illumos developments from time to time (bloody) or from stable to stable.

As Illumos is not only ZFS but a whole integrated full featured OS with integrated storage services like SMB around ZFS, it may not as easy to use a common codebase directly like Free-BSD that requires no more features than Linux. But I expect Illumos to be as near to Open-ZFS as possible in future to make integration of features easy. Up to now, new wanted features from OpenZFS 2.0 are quite fast in Illumos (a few months with encryption, not the delay we have seen in Free-BSD of more than 1.5 years)

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
OK, let me deconstruct your post to make sure I understand:

1) New features will be in Linux first now that the upstream codebase moved from Illumos to Linux (est 2017?)
2) Illumos Bloody will present the newest adopted features first
3) Linux codebase might be harder to integrate with illumos due to missing features (sharing)
4) Some features might get adopted on Illumos faster than FreeBSD (e.g. encryption vs sharing)

Did I miss anything?

What about cross compiling, have you tried it?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OK, let me deconstruct your post to make sure I understand:

1) New features will be in Linux first now that the upstream codebase moved from Illumos to Linux (est 2017?)
2) Illumos Bloody will present the newest adopted features first
3) Linux codebase might be harder to integrate with illumos due to missing features (sharing)
4) Some features might get adopted on Illumos faster than FreeBSD (e.g. encryption vs sharing)

Did I miss anything?

What about cross compiling, have you tried it?
1. Not in any case. If Joyent (Samsung) adds something to ZFS it will be available on Illumos first but as there are more developers on Linux many new improvements are published there first

2. No
There is no Ilumos bloody, only OmniOS bloody (dev release). OpenIndiana is the OS where newest Illumos features come first as OI is pure ongoing Illumos. OmniOS is a fork to allow stable/long term stable with a feature freeze and security/bugfixing only.

3. No
The Solaris SMB server for example was never ported to Linux, so only pure ZFS features needs to be integrated either way.

4. Only in the past.
As ZFS on Linux and Free-BSD covers only the filesystem features (ex SMB sharing via SAMBA, Posix ACL), they are now and in furure quite in sync. The last two years ZFS on Free-BSD was more or less freezed for this move. This is why encryption on Linux and Illumos was available early last year while it is on Free-BSD since now.

Reactions: AveryFreeman