What's the best way of running a virtual machine on WHS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
I'm looking for a way to have a virtual machine running Windows 7 on WHS 2k11, I first wanted to simply run Microsofts Virtual-PC, but it seems that it's only meant for Windows 7, what's the best sollution for this?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Did Microsoft follow through on their promise to disable the 'Hyper-V' role on WHS2011? I'm guessing they did. If not, enable it and set up the VM.

If you haven't loaded your WHS2011 machine yet, you could always get the Hyper-V server (the free bare-metal version of hyper-V) and run both WHS2011 and your Win7 client under it in parallel.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
It seems as if they removed it, there are the follwing roles:

Active Directory Certificate Services*
Active Directory Federation Services
Active Directory Rights Management Services
Application Server
DHCP Server
DNS Server
Fax Server
File Services*
Network Policy and Access Services*
Print and Document Services
Remote Desktop Services
Web Server IIS*
Windows Deployment Services
Windows Server Update Services

* = currently installed

It's installed, but I'm awaiting final release versions of Drive Bender and DrivePool before I deploy it, so I'm currently doing some testing so I'll do some reinstalls before it's deployed.

I looked at runnins WHS under Hyper-V, the problem was that when I read that I can only passthrough 2 SATA controllers I got a bit worried, but with my curent plans of getting a 4 external SAS ports (Like LSI 9200-16e) I guess that isn't really an issue.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What are you going to user Windows 7 for? VirtualBox may be a simple answer for you.

One thing that is really cool is Hyper-V + RemoteFX in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. I have become a big fan of this.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
I was hoping to remove one physical box, and integrate my download server with my file server, so it'll be running things like uTorrent, FTP-client and SABNZBD. These are all things I could run on WHS, but I'd prefer to have it run on a seperate machine because it'll be more experimental and I don't want to have to reinstall the entire file server just because I messed up the download part. Another problem is that torrent is a bandwith hog, and I don't want to cripple the I/O of the file serving.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is a pretty decent guide. Hyper-V Manager setup is a real pain, I completely agree with the author's comments.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks I'll give it another go then.

Btw, is there any advantages of using Hyper-V server over Server 2008 r2 with Hyper-V role?

I'm thinking that instead of having to install and set upHyper-V Manager on a bunch of computers I can just do it on the 2008 r2 server then remote desktop into it when I need to do something.

One thing is price, but since I have a Technet Subscription that isn't really an issue. Are there any performance issues with 2008r2+Hyper-V role? Any other reasons this might not be a good idea?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Personally, I do the RDC to Windows Server 2008 R2 mostly, especially since I use my MacBook Air 11" often. Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V works well. I will reserve comment on the TechNet thing since you know your application and the TechNet license better than I do.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, Technet is meant for testing, but atm atleast I considder my messing around testing. Will have to see what I do when I put the setup into "production mode". I can always just import the virtual machines to a Hyper-V server.

Last edited:

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Hmm, is it not possible to pass through an entire controller in HyperV? Do I have to manually add each drive?

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
Is there any downside to using ESXi for this? I recently started using it after running Hyper-V for a while, and the setup and management is much simpler, at least on a simple home network. Also ESXi allows full hardware passthrough (but ironically, not single disk passthrough without jumping through some hoops).

The only thing I miss about Hyper-V is the ability to use Windows Server Backup to backup the VM's.