What's the best alternative to FreeNAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Just want to mention ...

ZFS: You should use mirror vdevs, not RAIDZ. – JRS Systems: the blog

Something I recommend to read.

Gesendet von meinem ONE E1003 mit Tapatalk
Interesting reading. I've seen the article before. There are valid points but I do t agree with the conclusion. Especially for Bulk Storage, considering the size of drives now , it makes no sense to waste 50%. It's not being greedy. It's being prudent.

As in the case of the OP, With 10 TB drives primarily being used for media storage at $320 a pop, it makes no sense to build a 4x mirror configuration when a Raidz2 will serve perfectly well.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
The whole article is based on the premise that with larger drives are more likely to have a URE or another drive failure. However, the likelihood that you have a URE simultaneously on RaidZ2 or RaidZ3 is so remote that I cant see the advantages outweighing the costs for most users.

Further, if you are concerned about losing a second drive, you will be absolutely hosed if you lose a 2nd drive in the same VDev. You will lose the entire pool.

The biggest challenge that RaidZ2/3 have with 6x8TB+ vDevs is resilvering times being very long.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Raid 10 has bitchin' performance as well, ditto for the ZFS version of it. With shuckable 8TB heliums hitting as low as 160 this year, just do it! 10TB have too much new/biggest product tax, but I expect them to hit the sweet spot next year.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Raid 10 has bitchin' performance as well, ditto for the ZFS version of it. With shuckable 8TB heliums hitting as low as 160 this year, just do it! 10TB have too much new/biggest product tax, but I expect them to hit the sweet spot next year.
Already have the 8 x 10TB WD Golds in my possession. Got them for $325 each with WD Education discount. I wanted the 5 year warranty. The one thing I'm not doing is losing 20TB by going with RAID10.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
eh hem, you'd lose 40TB by going raid10 w/ those drives brotha :-D You'd lose 20TB by going raidz2