What VM's do you run?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Background:
I recently bought a Supermicro H8QGL-iF with plans to have it as a pure folding machine. However, I recently took another look at my QNAP 659Pro+ and noticed that not only is it almost at capacity (350GB remaining from 6x2TB Raid 5 [9.5TB]), it's constantly above 75% RAM and 50% utilisation doing all the various multimedia duties (usenet downloading/processing, XBMC MySQL DB) and webservice stuff (squid, website backups, running a couple of intranet sites)

So I figure I'll go the VM route with this board, setting the folding to 3/4 CPU's, and virtualising the rest of my stuff.

I'm looking at shifting from webservice Squid, to running PfSense with Squid in it, a separate VM for usenet downloading/processing with data offload to the NAS. All the routing stuff is handled by my router (Billion 7800N) which is fine for now, but could possibly move it to VM if requires (i think that's also in pf-sense?)

Actual question:
So, my question is what VM's other people are generally running?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
My entire datacenter, minus the backup server is virtualized.
I have 15 web servers, 6 SQL servers, 2 domain controllers, 2 SharePoint Servers, 2 Active Directory Sync servers to Office 365, and a hodge podge of other servers totaling to 48 virtualized machines.
These all sit on 5x clustered ESXI hosts with 2 Equilogic SANs for storage.

Now my home setup consists of a database server, 2 domain controllers, 2 web servers, a windows 7 machine, and a Server 2012 R2 machine for testing. These are all virtualized as well.

Last edited:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
what sorts of things are you doing with the DB server @home?

I'm currently only running my servers for myself (3-4 media clients around the apartment), I'm looking to expand the capabilities of things I can do or tinker with but have no ideas as to what to try.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I have several databases for my websites, as well as testing purposes. I am not a DBA, but I am for work! I use it for educational purposes as well.

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. OmniOS for storage
2. Windows 8.1 client for remote administration
3. Ubuntu for Newshoting stuff (sabnzbd, SB and CP)
4. Ubuntu for XBMC MySQL
5. MineOS for minecraft server hosting for friends and family
6. WHS (v1) for easy backup of my Windows machines

And lots of different stuff for testing stuff and trying to educate myself; different linux distributions, Win 2012, Win 2012 R2 and so on..

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Home it's simple
* Primary and Secondary DC
* Exchange / BES Server
* SQL 2012 Server
* Torrent Server
* Sickbeard Box
* MailCleaner Server
* Honeypot
* Linux Dev Box
* Proxy Server
* A few VDI boxes

At data centers a whackload of Web Servers (IIS and LAMP), SQL Servers, Game hosting servers, Offsite backup and DR environments.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Nothing real interesting in terms of single VMs, but played with a lot of concepts for performance testing a ton of special windows vms built for automated malware runs.

I don't write any of the automation or interface etc, mostly trying to get an idea of how much iron is needed for a given continuous load.

If you are a large and/or "interesting" organization, being able to run every single document that comes in by email will turn up some real neat stuff loooooooong before the blogosphere of "experts" learns of a new exploit and runs its mouth about it (far too many idiots with egos in this field).
It also catches plenty before there is any signature of course ;)

Theres vm aware stuff, but it seems to be used a lot less outside of the generic botnet world, and a lot of production systems are virtualized anyways so they might limit effectiveness too much checking for it.