What to look for in a Switch/ Network Equipment, to ensure Multicast support for WDS/ FOG image depl

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
What to look for in a Switch/ Network Equipment, to ensure Multicast support for WDS/ FOG image deployments?

Note: These are Operating System deployment tools
  • WDS - Windows Deployment Services (Not the WiFi WDS)
  • FOG - FOG Project
I need to acquire an inexpensive or used Switch (maybe Smart/ Managed) for a small non profit in Asia with a poor budget.

We did get a TrendNet GigE Switch through a friend over a US visit. Need to add another one for this ProBono work we are doing.

Just need to be sure of What "capability/ feature/ technical spec" a Switch or Networking equipment is needed to ensure WDS / FOG multicast based image deployments.

PS: Does it need more than a special switch? A specialized router?

Can FOG and/ or WDS do multicast over an ordinary unmanaged Gigabit Switch? or does it need hardware with specific multicast features?

Multicast vs. Broadcast - Crappy switch? - Ars Technica OpenForum

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
I can't speak for FOG, but I used a simple Mikrotik Switch and WDS worked without issue in my lab.

MikroTik - CRS125-24G-1S-IN

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You don't need a special or managed switch. However, it would be preferable for your switch to support IGMP Snooping. That will prevent the multicast traffic from being transmitted on every port. Instead, it will only be delivered to ports where there is a listener.

If you are running an access point in the same vlan you're trying to use multicast, and don't have an IGMP snooping capable switch, you WILL completely congest your wifi frequencies. It will completely cripple your wireless network when you try to use multicast.

Secondly, if you are trying to do this over a routed network (rather than all hosts in the same vlan), then you will need a router that supports the PIM protocol.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
You don't need a special or managed switch. However, it would be preferable for your switch to support IGMP Snooping. That will prevent the multicast traffic from being transmitted on every port. Instead, it will only be delivered to ports where there is a listener.

If you are running an access point in the same vlan you're trying to use multicast, and don't have an IGMP snooping capable switch, you WILL completely congest your wifi frequencies. It will completely cripple your wireless network when you try to use multicast.

Secondly, if you are trying to do this over a routed network (rather than all hosts in the same vlan), then you will need a router that supports the PIM protocol.
Thank you. I think it's just what I had been trying find/ figure out and did not see any information about it available clearly online.

Now the buyers question -

- Would any of these ProCurve switches support both of these? Used HP ProCurve J9021A vs J9021B vs J9028A vs J9028B?

- If I had to pick / find a new, inexpensive GigE switch that supports both, how/ what would/ should I pick? I typically shop / look on Amazon & NewEgg. Recommendation(s)?

- Any inexpensive Router(s)/ UTMs that would support PIM? - Sophos/ Untangle/ PFSense?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I don't know about your questions 1 and 3. But regarding 2....for home use, inexpensive switches that support vlans and igmp snooping I recommend the Netgear Prosafe PLUS series (8-port is the Prosafe GS108E). It's just a basic managed switch though, not a router. There are 5, 16, and 24 port models too.