what to do with two e5-2603 v2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Paid $8 for both.... didn't know if there's really anything very useful they could do since they are 4 core 1.8ghz with no turbo or hyperthread...but on the plus side, they can handle up to 768gb ram :)

Guess if nothing else then they are useful as cpu socket cover :). These cpu have the processing equivalent of an atom cpu....lol

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
lol, very cheap way to turn the light on on a box if you need a seventeenth node?;)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i am trying to think of why intel even create these cpu let along make it for dual core..... not sure what is even the market for this slow of a single xeon cpu.... why on earth would anyone want to run this thing in dual cpu? of course i am sure someone out there is running this cpu with 768gb ram or 1.5tb ram for running these in dual sockets...lol

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think those only exist so that somebody can sell a server that can be upgraded in the aftermarket. Absolutely cheapest option imaginable.
yes, i completely forgot about that scenario of selling you the shittiest slowest thing so that you have to pay out more to get something else right after you buy it.... yeap great evil strategy ;)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Or when you get some product that absolutely can’t work in a virtual setup because of special cards or something like on a production line.
But yes the real low end seems pointless always yes they see them a lot for systems that get upgraded. HPE and Dell these days do more with bit better CPU’s now in the bottom of range like 8cores Silver etc.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Or when you get some product that absolutely can’t work in a virtual setup because of special cards or something like on a production line.
But yes the real low end seems pointless always yes they see them a lot for systems that get upgraded. HPE and Dell these days do more with bit better CPU’s now in the bottom of range like 8cores Silver etc.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
This is an easy way to get all pcie on 2p boards on fire. For some applications these cpu are enough, i.e. presenting some nvme over a fabric to other nodes, dumb osd nodes, dns/memcache and even haproxy and a lot more that really annoys bigger cpu still exists and is often not virtualized.
I use some 2603v3 to power on two of my fat-twin nodes, for clos networking poc with proxmox, as load generators for storage benchmarks, running esxi just to see if my target can serve it and such - no need for bigger cpu in these nodes, what saves me some bucks better spent in ram and flash.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Cheap test cpu's.

Where did you get them ebay?

Cheapest on ebay is $16.99 ea shipped so you got a great deal.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Cheap test cpu's.

Where did you get them ebay?

Cheapest on ebay is $16.99 ea shipped so you got a great deal.
no idea why the other guy didn't bid up... his max bid was like $3. shipping was $5. I always use a sniper and this time i set mine at $10 so would 've been up to $15 for both but yeah...lol.... 2 of the slowest xeon cpu v2 for the price of a few candy bars... great deal but effectively there's not much you can do with them anyway except to use for testing MB and as cpu socket caps.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
I use these for flashing board bios....i have not seen a single 2011 board - even odd proprietary ones that would not boot with this cpu.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I use these for flashing board bios....i have not seen a single 2011 board - even odd proprietary ones that would not boot with this cpu.
not a good cpu for that purpose.... 2603 v1 is better.... a lot of MB that have old bios wont boot up with v2 cpu unless bios is updated but will boot with v1 cpu....

Worth thier weight in gold for testing and evaluating mbs.
lol... where are you buying yr gold? i would surely trade these cpus for the equivalent weight of 24 carat gold ;)

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Yea my bad, thought we were talking about V1 - yea no idea what ypu would do with the v2 version - if you put in on a piece of paper kt might not blow away.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
As mentioned above for home use they are mostly good for cheap test CPUs. When buying used barebones where I plan to sell the motherboard, or am not yet ready to do a build with it I'll use these as a cheap way to test functionality while I can still ask for a return. I keep a pair of 2603s from v1/2 and 3 on hand for just this purpose. The V2 aren't needed that often but in the odd case where v2 support isn't guaranteed it's nice to have them for validation purposes.

Reactions: Evan and leebo_28

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
yes, i completely forgot about that scenario of selling you the shittiest slowest thing so that you have to pay out more to get something else right after you buy it.... yeap great evil strategy ;)
Or if you're Apple, sell a machine that's handicapped by pitiful storage that you can never never EVER upgrade. The just-announced MBA and Mac Mini start at 128GB in 2018??? o_O

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Or if you're Apple, sell a machine that's handicapped by pitiful storage that you can never never EVER upgrade. The just-announced MBA and Mac Mini start at 128GB in 2018??? o_O
Really wow... 128GB ram ddr4? that's gonna be expensive.... but whatever, it's mac, they can charge whatever they want... people would buy it no matter the price..

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
That’s a 128gb SSD, not memory!
lol.. i see... well i am still only using 128gb ssd in my desktop... could actually go down to 64 or even 48gb,,, as they are only for boot.... but for storage i am currently running about 20TB of spinners.... it's basically acting as archival too.... each drive of 4TB is being written to only once and then remove off the array....

the desktop/storage server is actually running amd phenom 955 with 16gb ram.... it's been working well and steady since 2010. i thought about upgrading to xeon but then it won't make any difference in the use anyway for its purpose so that's why it hasn't gotten upgraded.